Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Money Order Situation

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    You mean this is a surprise to you?

Kid, I don't know what the bank will do. We have others here who have worked in loss prevention for retail; they may have some ideas. And I know someone who used to be a regular poster here who is a VP of a bank, I'll ask her to take a look.

But really? Just report the damn thing and stop trying to figure out all the angles in advance. I don't care what Army Judge on the other site is telling you, you are not going to be arrested or held criminally responsible unless the bank has a real reason to think that you were knowingly participating in a fraud. And you know how you keep them from thinking you were intentionally participating in a fraud? YOU REPORT TO THEM THAT YOU WERE SCAMMED.
    like button

Yes thank you all for your help. Hopefully this whole situation is resolved soon. Take care

This is the first opportunity I've had to get back to this thread since my banking friend looked at it. She agrees that you need call the police and the bank. She agrees that you will have to pay the money back. She agrees that you will not be criminally charged. She says it is possible - not definite, but possible - that you will be considered a bad risk and your account closed. Otherwise, she's sympathetic to your situation.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    This is the first opportunity I've had to get back to this thread since my banking friend looked at it. She agrees that you need call the police and the bank. She agrees that you will have to pay the money back. She agrees that you will not be criminally charged. She says it is possible - not definite, but possible - that you will be considered a bad risk and your account closed. Otherwise, she's sympathetic to your situation.
    Thank you very much for the response, also please thank your friend on my behalf. This is going to help me out a lot.

If I may ask, why would my account be closed? Is it because the bank found out that a bad MO was deposited into my account? I will still have money in my account if I do pay back the bank and I believe I won't be in the negatives,

She is not saying it WILL be closed, only that it MIGHT be closed.

IF it happens, which is by no means certain, it will be because the bank determined that someone who would make such a foolish mistake is a bad risk and they don't want to risk potentially losing any more money if you do it again. It's got nothing to do with how much money is in your account.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    IF it happens, which is by no means certain, it will be because the bank determined that someone who would make such a foolish mistake is a bad risk and they don't want to risk potentially losing any more money if you do it again. It's got nothing to do with how much money is in your account.
    Ahh I understand now, thanks

I just read that if a bank closes an account with money in it, the bank must return that money to the person. (Hopefully this doesn't happen)

Quote Quoting shine9004
    View Post
    I just read that if a bank closes an account with money in it, the bank must return that money to the person.
    That can take up to a month. You really need to have a back up plan.

One should probably always have TWO or more checking accounts anyway. Real life stories: Friend at work's purse went missing before lunch. After lunch, she had a call from the fraud department. Thankfully, she had a spare checking account with a debit card at home to fall back on because it took weeks for her money to be restored and her old account made fully available, and this was at Chase.

I had an account that was called an "Anywhere" account. When I used the account at Disneyworld in FL, I got a call and was told that because my account was being used "all over the country" (I'd also bought food from the Chicago airport) that I was too high a risk, and my account was closed. It was extremely inconvenient to switch my automatic payments while I was travelling, but that bank didn't care. It took 14 days for them to refund my surplus balance.

You always need two+ accounts because you just never know when your bank will pull the plug on you, and you need a back up.

So it's been a week and I checked my account today and the bank deducted the $990. My account did not overdraft and it is still in the positives. The bank hasn't closed my account, unless it takes some time for this to happen (hopefully not).

Will the bank do anything after this? Meaning, will they go out of their OWN way to investigate how/why this happened (e.g:notify law enforcement).

No. They've got their money back from you; that's all they care about.

And what do you care if they notify law enforcement? You've already done so yourself, right? RIGHT?

Quote Quoting shine9004
    View Post
    So it's been a week and I checked my account today and the bank deducted the $990. My account did not overdraft and it is still in the positives. The bank hasn't closed my account, unless it takes some time for this to happen (hopefully not).

Will the bank do anything after this? Meaning, will they go out of their OWN way to investigate how/why this happened (e.g:notify law enforcement).
    As you have been told multiple times if the bank isn't out any money they don't care, won't close your account and will do nothing to investigate.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast