Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Re: Money Order Situation

My account will not be in the negatives so why would they close it? Wouldn't I only lose the money that was added from the MO?

It'd probably look bad on my account but I don't think it would close entirely.

I don't either, kid, so don't worry about it.

Did you look at the link I posted? It talks about exactly your situation and it doesn't say a word about closing your account out from under you.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I don't either, kid, so don't worry about it.

Did you look at the link I posted? It talks about exactly your situation and it doesn't say a word about closing your account out from under you.
    Yes I did, thank you. I also read in another site that if the bank finds out that the MO was fake or stolen, it would automatically deduct the money from my account.

Unsure if the authorities would be called though

Listen. If you're still worried that you're going to be held criminally responsible, stop right now. Go back and read what I posted. The bank wants its money back and if it needs to take it from you, so be it. But YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE CHARGED WITH A CRIME.

I read it wrong. I found it hard to believe that an 18-yo college student could spare $900 and still stay positive, and I translated the statement to be that he would be in the negative.

The banks closed early today so I was unable to report. I'm going to call Western Union tomorrow to see if the MO is real or counterfeit. From there, I should be able to know what actions can be taken.

Well, you know, take your time about telling us, we're already a little overwhelmed by all this paranoia.

So I just called Western Union and they told me that the the amount of money on the MO ($990) does not match the amount on their systems. I can confirm that this MO was definitely altered. They were unable to give me the actual amount due to security reasons. They said I have to contact the purchaser of the MO but I do not know them. The only thing that’s present in the MO is their signature.

If I go to the bank and tell them this, what can they do to help? I can explain to them the situation and let them know that this MO was altered

You mean this is a surprise to you?

Kid, I don't know what the bank will do. We have others here who have worked in loss prevention for retail; they may have some ideas. And I know someone who used to be a regular poster here who is a VP of a bank, I'll ask her to take a look.

But really? Just report the damn thing and stop trying to figure out all the angles in advance. I don't care what Army Judge on the other site is telling you, you are not going to be arrested or held criminally responsible unless the bank has a real reason to think that you were knowingly participating in a fraud. And you know how you keep them from thinking you were intentionally participating in a fraud? YOU REPORT TO THEM THAT YOU WERE SCAMMED.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    You mean this is a surprise to you?

Kid, I don't know what the bank will do. We have others here who have worked in loss prevention for retail; they may have some ideas. And I know someone who used to be a regular poster here who is a VP of a bank, I'll ask her to take a look.

But really? Just report the damn thing and stop trying to figure out all the angles in advance. I don't care what Army Judge on the other site is telling you, you are not going to be arrested or held criminally responsible unless the bank has a real reason to think that you were knowingly participating in a fraud. And you know how you keep them from thinking you were intentionally participating in a fraud? YOU REPORT TO THEM THAT YOU WERE SCAMMED.
    I will once the banks were open, and thank you that would really help.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast