Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Money Order Situation

Yes, this is a different situation. This is a well known scam but you are the victim. You didn't know it was forged or stolen. The ones who get into trouble are the ones who KNOWINGLY attempt to cash in on a money order or check that does not belong to them.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Who is going to report it? Who knows about it except the perp? He sure isn't going to,
    I was thinking what if the money order belonged to someone else and the person reported their money order being lost and stolen. And then the money order was traced to my account, making it look like I was the one who took the money.

That is the way the scam works, to make it look like you are the one that may have stolen the money order. Just go and report it to the police (in person) and to your bank on Tuesday.

You haven't answered. How much of the Money Order did you get to keep?

Sorry for not answering the guy let me keep $90. Any tips/advice on what I should say? Also the bank is open tomorrow (Sunday) so I think I can report it then.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    That is the way the scam works, to make it look like you are the one that may have stolen the money order. Just go and report it to the police (in person) and to your bank on Tuesday.

You haven't answered. How much of the Money Order did you get to keep?
    I really do not mind losing a lot of money. I just don't want anything bad to happen to me or to my college career. If I have to pay $990 using my own money to calm myself down, then I will do it.

Also, do you know what the bank is going to do? I'm assuming that the police are going to try and locate this individual but is the bank going to do something to make my account clear of any problems?

My comment about paying the bank would only be an issue if the $90 dropped you to a negative balance. If the bank has its money there isn't an issue with paying them back.

If the bank isn't our money they aren't going to do anything.

No my account will not be dropped to a negative balance. Also to clarify, the money order was from Western Union and my bank account is Chase. Will that make a difference since the money order was NOT from Chase bank? I just want to gather as much information before reporting this.

Quote Quoting shine9004
    View Post
    No my account will not be dropped to a negative balance. Also to clarify, the money order was from Western Union and my bank account is Chase. Will that make a difference since the money order was NOT from Chase bank? I just want to gather as much information before reporting this.
    You need no further information.

You go to the police. You report that you were scammed and as much info about the person that gave you the MO.

YOU were the victim here and all you are out is $90 and the bank return fee. Chiil dude.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    You need no further information.

You go to the police. You report that you were scammed and as much info about the person that gave you the MO.

YOU were the victim here and all you are out is $90 and the bank return fee. Chiil dude.
    Alright thank you. But why $90 and not $990. I know Iím asking a lot of questions. I need to grasp the whole situation. And I am trying to stay calm. I just donít want to make another mistake thatís all.

You cannot make a mistake by reporting this.

Okay thanks. If you don’t mind me asking, do you have any experience or knew someone who went through a similar situation?

Also, I was told that a money order can NOT be traced. Is this true because I believe it’s not and I want to confirm

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast