Default Help

Yesterday I was called back to my manager's office while at work. She closed the door and I was instructed to speak to someone on the phone. It was an investigator from Loss Prevention. He asked me about myself and explained to me why he was calling. At that point I knew I was caught for what I'd done. As he asked me questions I confessed to my wrongdoings. I rang myself out for returns and purchases but never changed the price on them. I also had no receipt returns which is against company policy . Ifilled out a form confessing what I had done and stated I was sorry. He then spoke with my manager (as she was the witness) about the situation.

My manager then got off the phone with him so he could call my District Manager. A few minutes later my DM called saying that they would have to speak with Human Resources to discuss what happens next. I am terrified of being terminated. I don't know what to think or do. I am only 21 years-old and am in the process of graduating college and applying for jobs.

What is the likelihood that I will be terminated for what I've done? Is there any chance I may just be suspended or my discount be revoked? I do not want to lose my job with Victoria's Secret and regret making those returns more than anything.

If I am fired, what should I do? Will I be charged or will it go on my record? I just had a job interview today and was told that a background check needs to be completed. Will this show up on my background check? Will I be entered in a retail theft database?

I am so worried and scared. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Default Re: Help

You can expect to be fired.
    You can expect to get a demand from The Limited's "lawyers" demanding compensation.
    You can expect to be entered in the NRTD and have a hard time finding retail jobs in the future.
    If you're lucky, they won't refer this to criminal prosecution.

If the latter happens, you'll end up with a (perhaps a lifetime, you didn't indicate what state) criminal record. As one of the local judges likes to point out, it's easier with drug addicts. You can rehab the addicts. The thieves are likely not ever to be trustworthy.

My advice. Start being prepared for the eventuality that you be fired. If contacted by the police or prosecutor, decline to speak to them. If they arrest/file charges or other wise insist on talking to you, get an attorney.

What is the likelihood that I will be terminated for what I've done? Very likely

Is there any chance I may just be suspended or my discount be revoked? It's possible, but not likely, that you may be just suspended. You may rest assured that your discount will be revoked, regardless of what happens.

If I am fired, what should I do? File for unemployment, understanding that you very well may not get it, and look for a new job. Do not apply for retail jobs or jobs where you will have to handle cash, credit or debit cards - you won't get them.

Will I be charged or will it go on my record? You may or may not be charged. If you are, and if you are convicted, yes, it will go on your record. I don't know why you would think otherwise.

I just had a job interview today and was told that a background check needs to be completed. Will this show up on my background check? That depends on how thorough the background check is,

Will I be entered in a retail theft database? I think that's a safe bet.

Will I be entered in a retail theft database? I think that's a safe bet.
    Yep, employee theft was the reason that this database was created. It's an ancillary use that they put customer thieves in there.

Would they still keep me working till they determine what to do with me?

Would they still keep me working till they determine what to do with me??

Quote Quoting Hjayne16
    View Post
    Would they still keep me working till they determine what to do with me?

Would they still keep me working till they determine what to do with me??
    They are not legally required to do so.

That's entirely up to them. Personally, I'd fire you out of hand. And if I had to get approval from corporate to do that, I'd put you on unpaid leave until I got the approval. But if they want to keep you working and risk that you'll steal still more from them, that's their call.

You seem supremely and totally clueless here. You filed this under "criminal charges" which means you realize the reality of this, you've committed a criminal act, and should they decide to press charges against you, which they could do, you'd be charged with a criminal offense. Which means that generally, your accomplishment of "about to finish my college degree" is going to be nulled and voided, certainly compromised, and your job search is going to be really tougher if you were to be looking out toward applying for jobs in fields such as teaching, professional or well, just about anything that requires a clean background....because you couldn't resist stealing things from a sleazy underwear store?

And you're so horribly worried about being fired and horror of horrors, losing your discount?!?! This is so far from being realistic that I think you need more assistance here than a legal forum on the internet can possibly provide you. If you have parents who are helping you, are in the mix here, I think you should confide in them what has happened, and ask them to get you some serious resources to deal with your little loss prevention problem and make sure it doesn't end up as a criminal charge somewhere on your record other than the database for retail workers.

And if you are in college, I would strongly suggest that you take advantage of the campus counseling services. Talk to the counselor about why you have been unable to resist this sudden crazy spate of stealing from your short term employer here just as you finish school and start to launch a career. There's more to it than "Oh I just really liked those panties and was a little short of cash!" going on here. This is plain old self sabotage probably produced by anxiety. It needs treatment and you need to get this under control.

Quote Quoting Hjayne16
    View Post
    Yesterday I was called back to my manager's office while at work. She closed the door and I was instructed to speak to someone on the phone. It was an investigator from Loss Prevention. He asked me about myself and explained to me why he was calling. At that point I knew I was caught for what I'd done. As he asked me questions I confessed to my wrongdoings. I rang myself out for returns and purchases but never changed the price on them. I also had no receipt returns which is against company policy . Ifilled out a form confessing what I had done and stated I was sorry. He then spoke with my manager (as she was the witness) about the situation.

My manager then got off the phone with him so he could call my District Manager. A few minutes later my DM called saying that they would have to speak with Human Resources to discuss what happens next. I am terrified of being terminated. I don't know what to think or do. I am only 21 years-old and am in the process of graduating college and applying for jobs.

What is the likelihood that I will be terminated for what I've done? Is there any chance I may just be suspended or my discount be revoked? I do not want to lose my job with Victoria's Secret and regret making those returns more than anything.

If I am fired, what should I do? Will I be charged or will it go on my record? I just had a job interview today and was told that a background check needs to be completed. Will this show up on my background check? Will I be entered in a retail theft database?

I am so worried and scared. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...
    What is your college degree in?

1. Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources