Default Goodwill or Not

Can an individual person hold Goodwill in a trade name , and how does it qualify as a "trade name" ?. Let me try and give an example. Lets say someone "launched" something called, for example, "Bitcoin" can that person hold Goodwill in the name "Bitcoin" even though many people are using the name ?.

Default Re: Goodwill or Not

The term "goodwill" is an accounting concept, not a legal issue. Therefore, I have responded to your questions assuming that, when you ask about "goodwill," you're really asking about trademark rights.

Quote Quoting tryingtogetadvice
    View Post
    Can an individual person hold Goodwill in a trade name
    Yes.

View Post
    how does it qualify as a "trade name" ?
    Through use in commerce.

View Post
    Lets say someone "launched" something called, for example, "Bitcoin" can that person hold Goodwill in the name "Bitcoin" even though many people are using the name ?
    If the name is commonly used in commerce, then any given individual is likely to have to establish secondary meaning to hold legal rights in the name.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you?

Perhaps you can provide a real life example.

Is somebody claiming you've done wrong?

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you?

Perhaps you can provide a real life example.

Is somebody claiming you've done wrong?

I have no idea what YOU are talking about. Go back to sleep !.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    The term "goodwill" is an accounting concept, not a legal issue. Therefore, I have responded to your questions assuming that, when you ask about "goodwill," you're really asking about trademark rights.

Yes.

Through use in commerce.

If the name is commonly used in commerce, then any given individual is likely to have to establish secondary meaning to hold legal rights in the name.
    Thanks. Yes not a registered trademark, but Goodwill in a trade name only.

View Post
    I have no idea what YOU are talking about. Go back to sleep !.
    Being rude to the volunteers that provide answers here is not going to help you around here.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post

Yes.

Through use in commerce.

Thanks. Yes goodwill in a trade name, not a registered trade mark.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post

Yes.

Through use in commerce.

To further expand on this explanation, Goodwill is a term that is often used when valuing a company or a division of the company. Lets say that the actual assets of the company, net the debts of the company are worth 500k but the company is selling for 1 million. The extra 500k is based on the Goodwill of the company name and reputation.

LL has it. Goodwill is the value the company has by reputation (as opposed to tangible assets ).

It's distinct from trademarks. As pointed out, trademarks are brands used in commerce. You can have a trademark with no goodwill and vice versa.

1. Sponsored Links