Default Case for Unfair or Retaliatory Firing

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: CT I was fired for "willful misconduct", which was really just a pretext for retaliatory firing due to exposing embezzlement within the company - embezzlement they buried instead of fixing to protect federal funding. They fought my unemployment benefits and lost as willful misconduct was not proven. Beyond getting retro benefits, what are my rights to pursue some type of litigation against my former employer? Not only have I lost a lucrative job of 10 years, but they have made defaming statements against me publicly, attempted to ruin my reputation. I have suffered severe anxiety over this issue that was torturous for a year until they found some drummed up charge to fire me. I understand CT is an "at will" state but when an employer chooses to target and eliminate a faithful employee and try to ruin thier reputation in the process, there must be some type of action the wronged employee can explore.
    Thank you

Default Re: Case for Unfair or Retaliatory Firing

Quote Quoting longroad2018
    View Post
    they have made defaming statements against me publicly, attempted to ruin my reputation.
    That's where you might have a cause of action for a lawsuit, not necessarily the termination of employment.

Consult a defamation attorney so that those statements can be examined properly.

Not all whistleblowing is protected. Who did you report the misconduct to? Being "unfair" isn't sufficient to protest a termination. Faithfulness is not something that's actionable (tell me about it, I was fired over the phone after being with a company for over 20 years).

As far as your "reputation," in order for that to be actionable, they'd have to make knowingly false statements to some other party (and claiming on your UI that it was misconduct will not qualify).

Was your employer a publicly traded company (one whose stock trades on a stock exchange) or otherwise a company required to file periodic reports with the federal Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)? And to whom did you report the alleged embezzlement?

1. Sponsored Links