Default Dcs Reports $500k Over to 3 Credit Bureaus and Won't Correct

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: WA

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Washington

DCS / DSHS reported wrong and incorrect information to the 3 reporting credit bureaus, and it is off by $500,000 !!!

They say it is correct. It is not. I even opened a dispute with each agency. I have paper copies showing the current and correct amount from DCS, which is nowhere near 6 figures.

What options do I have? Do I have legal options? This has caused me some serious problems!

Default Re: Dcs Reports $500k Over to 3 Credit Bureaus and Won't Correct

You are exercising the legal option. You'll have to let it play out. Did you also make an inquiry with the DCS as to why they are doing this.
    It is almost always the case with government agencies that you have to avail yourself of their own due process procedures before you can even think of suing them.

I does often help to get an attorney involved in the due process procedures.

Who says it is correct? The cra’s Don’t determine if a debt amount is correct. They are required to validate the debt if the debtor contests the debt. When a debtor disputes a debt with the cra, the cra contacts the creditor and asks for validation. If the creditor says it is $XXXXX, then that is what the cra reports. It is then up to you to dispute the debt with the creditor under the Fcra if you believe the debt reported is inaccurate. You can also attach a notice of dispute to your credit reports if the disputed debt continues to be reported.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...credit-reports

I'm sorry, JK. That is not true. You're confusing debt validation of the FDCPA with the dispute process of the FCRA. You should actually read the link you posted in its entirety.

No, I’m not. I am quite aware of the process for each law. Reporting of the debt to the cra is controlled by the fcra. The site I linked explains the process.

The process comes down to filing a dispute the report with the cra. They investigate which is essentially is little more than a validation with the creditor. If the creditor states the amount is correct the line will remain. That’s the end of the cra’s involvement. The debtor must then deal with the creditor to do anything more. As long as the creditor maintains the debt is valid and correct, the debtor is limited to court action to change anything from that point.

1. Sponsored Links