Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lawyer Sent Case Results to Wrong Email

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: North Carolina

Alright so I am 19, I got pulled over for the first time ever at 18 back in April, which also happened to be my first speeding ticket. 53 in a 35.

My dad said he'll handle everything and so he hired a lawyer to go to court on my behalf. Court date was June 13th. My lawyer goes to court. I asked my dad about the results of my court date June 14th, and he said he didn't hear anything back. Fine. I ask him again the next week, and the next week, and basically all of July. He keeps telling me he never heard anything back and to stop worrying about it. I just brushed it off and went along with my summer.

Today, August 24, I receive a letter in the mail from my lawyer dated to August 16th. She says she sent an email on June 18th regarding my case and attaches the email along with the letter. Apparently, I had to attend a traffic class and write a 3-page essay about what I learned and read it in front of a judge on August 2nd in order to have my ticket dismissed. But she made a typo in my dad's email, so we never received it. Since we missed that deadline, my lawyer now has to renegotiate and there is another court date on August 29th.

What do I do. I am so annoyed with my dad, and my lawyer too. My lawyer did not make an effort to reach out after not hearing back for a whole month (June 18th.....July 18th..?) She only emailed again on July 31st. Wouldn't one think she would make an effort to call if emails arent sending through? And my dad also did not make an effort to call my lawyer. I kept telling him to. But he is always extremely busy with work. IDK. If I handled things myself, I definitely would have given my lawyer a call way back in June because my ticket was always on my mind and being so young, I didn't know what to expect or how serious anything is.

Will the judge or DA give me another opportunity to take a class and write a paper? I genuinely had no idea of any email and neither did my dad. My lawyer sent the initial email to the wrong email. I do not know what to expect now.

Default Re: Lawyer Sent Case Results to Wrong Email

You're asking us to guess what an unknown judge and unknown DA will do?

Your lawyer-you call. Now, call them on Monday and ask them what you should expect.

And while we're at it, you're a legal adult and you were the one who was speeding. When your dad didn't call the lawyer back, what was wrong with you picking up the phone yourself?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    And while we're at it, you're a legal adult and you were the one who was speeding. When your dad didn't call the lawyer back, what was wrong with you picking up the phone yourself?
    I had a client come into the office a couple of weeks ago. She was 19 and was dealing with a problem with the IRS that absolutely required HER to make a phone call to the IRS. I offered to make the phone call from our office where I could help her deal with them. Her response? "I am only 19, I cannot do anything at all like that unless my mother is present". She had a serious situation going on that I won't go into, but what her mother told her to do would have just made it worse.

There are some helicopter/controlling parents out there who have brainwashed their young adult children into believing that they cannot do anything unless mommy or daddy is in charge of what happens.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I just went along with my summer. I also got extremely busy. Idk how to handle tickets or anything dealing with the law so my dad said heíll do everything, which was a big mistake. Heís also a busy person himself. I would tell him to call and he would just forget. I didnít think to call the lawyer myself because my father kept telling me to stop worrying about it.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    You're asking us to guess what an unknown judge and unknown DA will do?
    Uh I’m assuming people on this forum are experienced with the law and could give me some advice. I don’t know. I just joined today.

No one here has a crystal ball so we can't predict what the judge will do. Hopefully your attorney will be able to convince the judge that the miscommunications were her fault and you will have a new deadline to take the class and prepare the essay. You could also show up in court on the 29th with your attorney, along with the completed essay and the reservation for the class in hand, to show the judge that just because the adults you depended on to help you with this screwed up, you are doing everything in your power to fix it.

Quote Quoting bcr229
    View Post
    No one here has a crystal ball so we can't predict what the judge will do. Hopefully your attorney will be able to convince the judge that the miscommunications were her fault and you will have a new deadline to take the class and prepare the essay. You could also show up in court on the 29th with your attorney, along with the completed essay and the reservation for the class in hand, to show the judge that just because the adults you depended on to help you with this screwed up, you are doing everything in your power to fix it.
    Thank you for the genuine response! I already emailed my lawyer to see what she thinks about everything. The next class date is this Monday, and I am considering going despite the fact I am going to be right out of my wisdom tooth surgery. We'll see how that goes. The classes are only once a month, and the September class isn't until 9/30, so I am willing to go even though I'll likely be exhausted and drugged up. I am regularly a super cautious driver and the speeding ticket was an isolated incident, so this is really frustrating for me and I would do anything to fix it.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I had a client come into the office a couple of weeks ago. She was 19 and was dealing with a problem with the IRS that absolutely required HER to make a phone call to the IRS. I offered to make the phone call from our office where I could help her deal with them. Her response? "I am only 19, I cannot do anything at all like that unless my mother is present". She had a serious situation going on that I won't go into, but what her mother told her to do would have just made it worse.

There are some helicopter/controlling parents out there who have brainwashed their young adult children into believing that they cannot do anything unless mommy or daddy is in charge of what happens.
    Then they'd better learn to either start thinking for themselves, or accept the fact that Mommy and Daddy are going to control every aspect of their life and they're going to have to live with the results. There are no other alternatives.

The only real issue is between you and your father. You relied on his word and he failed you.

Legally speaking it is your lawyer and your issue and you are an adult so you should have stepped up and called the lawyer yourself.

So now your best option is to consult your lawyer about the possibilities and probabilities. If he is a very persuasive or connected attorney you may get a do over. If the lawyer is not the judges favorite person you could find yourself the target of one pissed off judges wrath.

Bcr’s suggestion of completing everything you were required to do that you can do prior to your new hearing may convince a judge you didn’t simply blow off your obligations but didn’t complete your obligations due to the miscommunication.

Btw; it’s likely the lawyer is also a busy guy. He was hired to be a lawyer, not a babysitter. If he believed he sent the communication to the correct address he likely felt no need to hold your hand. He probably figured if you had questions you would have called. With no call, he let you do whatever you wanted to regarding your penalties.

Beyond this being a lesson to start acting like an adult, hope fully you have learned that ignoring a problem usually doesn’t work out well. You were right to be concerned as you were. You should have kept the pressure on dad to get the actual results of the hearing or done so yourself.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast