Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Lawyer Sent Case Results to Wrong Email

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I am going to disagree a bit with this post. I do agree that the OP should have been more proactive, but the attorney would have gotten a message that the email was undeliverable and should have followed through by telephone or snail mail.

The attorney doesn't get a "pass" because they sent an email that wasn't delivered. They knew that the email wasn't delivered.
    That's assuming it WAS undeliverable. Just because there was a typo doesn't mean it didn't go to a legitimate email address.

Actually, that's a really good point. I am constantly getting emails for a woman in Ireland whose email is one letter off from mine.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I am going to disagree a bit with this post. I do agree that the OP should have been more proactive, but the attorney would have gotten a message that the email was undeliverable and should have followed through by telephone or snail mail.

The attorney doesn't get a "pass" because they sent an email that wasn't delivered. They knew that the email wasn't delivered.
    The attorney would have not gotten a message if it WAS a legitimate email address, even if it was not OP's Dad.

I have an email address that regularly gets email intended for others all over the world, including bank statements, party invitations, cell phone bills, and private conversation. All it takes is for a correspondent to not use a letter or number or two, and I've got mail.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post

why do you think the attorney would be notified the email was undeliverable? Maybe it was delivered...to somebody. You’re jumping to conclusions that are not able to be known.

Quote Quoting sarrabee
    View Post
    Thank you for this response. My lawyer's law firm is named after her, and I am assuming that is a good thing? I am not sure how common that is though or how many lawyers work under the law firm. I also do not know about her track record as I could not find any online reviews for her.

Also, I understand that she is probably a busy person, but it is confusing to me that she did not make any effort apart from 2 days before my August 2nd court date to figure out if I had attended the class and written the essay. She sent the initial email with the case results on June 18th, and then only sent another email (to the same wrong address) on July 31st that simply read "please let me know if you completed the class and essay." My second court date (that I had no idea about) was two days later on August 2nd. I would think that she would want to send an email asking that information at least a week prior to the court date, and then maybe calling if she did not get a response two days before. Also, I had to show up in person on August 2nd. I would think she would have wanted to make sure I was going to be there. IDK how law works exactly but if I was a lawyer who had to rely on my client to be in court on a specific day, I would want to verify he or she is coming. I regret not reaching out myself. If I had known about the class and essay, I would have done that in a heartbeat. I did definitely learn a lot through this, most importantly to stop relying on my father (who does not want me to grow up) for important things like this.
    she was hired to be a lawyer, not a parent. She sent an email (presumably per your father’s stated preferred means of communication and received no response. So, she may have figured you were doing what you were supposed to be doing she did not know anything different until she received notice of your failure to complete your penalty requirements. Upon receiving that notice it appears she did make contact in a means that is legally dependable.

It isnt your attorneys job to chase after you to make sure you are doing what you’re supposed to be doing. That is your job and since the last email said “ please let me know if you completed the [obligations], well, as far as she was concerned if you didn’t follow up, well, she isn’t your mother. You are the one that would suffer the consequences for failing to do the work.

The biggest issue, still, is your fathers involvement and his failure to follow up when it appeared the attorney wasn’t contacting you. Again, that was actually your responsibility since you were the client but I get the dad thing but all that does is mean this is his failure. I don’t see the attorney at fault here.

For future reference;

an attorney is not your parent and isn’t going to chase you down to make sure you did your homework. They will treat you like an adult and let you do the right thing or screw up; its your option. If you believe there is something wrong, it is your obligation to check into it and not expect anybody else to. In this situation, you appear to have realized something was amiss but you depended on your father to take care of things. That didn’t work out the best for you.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3