Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Lawyer Sent Case Results to Wrong Email

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    The only real issue is between you and your father. You relied on his word and he failed you.

Legally speaking it is your lawyer and your issue and you are an adult so you should have stepped up and called the lawyer yourself.

So now your best option is to consult your lawyer about the possibilities and probabilities. If he is a very persuasive or connected attorney you may get a do over. If the lawyer is not the judges favorite person you could find yourself the target of one pissed off judges wrath.

Bcr’s suggestion of completing everything you were required to do that you can do prior to your new hearing may convince a judge you didn’t simply blow off your obligations but didn’t complete your obligations due to the miscommunication.

Btw; it’s likely the lawyer is also a busy guy. He was hired to be a lawyer, not a babysitter. If he believed he sent the communication to the correct address he likely felt no need to hold your hand. He probably figured if you had questions you would have called. With no call, he let you do whatever you wanted to regarding your penalties.

Beyond this being a lesson to start acting like an adult, hope fully you have learned that ignoring a problem usually doesn’t work out well. You were right to be concerned as you were. You should have kept the pressure on dad to get the actual results of the hearing or done so yourself.
    I am going to disagree a bit with this post. I do agree that the OP should have been more proactive, but the attorney would have gotten a message that the email was undeliverable and should have followed through by telephone or snail mail.

The attorney doesn't get a "pass" because they sent an email that wasn't delivered. They knew that the email wasn't delivered.

While I understand where you're coming from, I rarely get notices on my work email that an email I sent was not delivered unless I actively go looking for it. Those notices are automatically re-directed by a security system into a separate folder and do not get to my main Inbox ever.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    While I understand where you're coming from, I rarely get notices on my work email that an email I sent was not delivered unless I actively go looking for it. Those notices are automatically re-directed by a security system into a separate folder and do not get to my main Inbox ever.
    I can see that on an email situation like a university's email system. Those system's are pretty huge. However an attorney's email system would likely not be that huge and would likely not WANT an email system that did not alert the attorney to an email that was not delivered.

An attorney actually has some fairly serious liability if they do not get communications to their clients. I remember a case where my boss got sued for something and used the corporate attorneys to hand the case. They messed up and didn't inform him of a court date and a default judgement was entered. The attorneys actually paid the judgement themselves because they messed up.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    The only real issue is between you and your father. You relied on his word and he failed you.

Legally speaking it is your lawyer and your issue and you are an adult so you should have stepped up and called the lawyer yourself.

So now your best option is to consult your lawyer about the possibilities and probabilities. If he is a very persuasive or connected attorney you may get a do over. If the lawyer is not the judges favorite person you could find yourself the target of one pissed off judges wrath.

Bcrís suggestion of completing everything you were required to do that you can do prior to your new hearing may convince a judge you didnít simply blow off your obligations but didnít complete your obligations due to the miscommunication.

Btw; itís likely the lawyer is also a busy guy. He was hired to be a lawyer, not a babysitter. If he believed he sent the communication to the correct address he likely felt no need to hold your hand. He probably figured if you had questions you would have called. With no call, he let you do whatever you wanted to regarding your penalties.

Beyond this being a lesson to start acting like an adult, hope fully you have learned that ignoring a problem usually doesnít work out well. You were right to be concerned as you were. You should have kept the pressure on dad to get the actual results of the hearing or done so yourself.
    Thank you for this response. My lawyer's law firm is named after her, and I am assuming that is a good thing? I am not sure how common that is though or how many lawyers work under the law firm. I also do not know about her track record as I could not find any online reviews for her.

Also, I understand that she is probably a busy person, but it is confusing to me that she did not make any effort apart from 2 days before my August 2nd court date to figure out if I had attended the class and written the essay. She sent the initial email with the case results on June 18th, and then only sent another email (to the same wrong address) on July 31st that simply read "please let me know if you completed the class and essay." My second court date (that I had no idea about) was two days later on August 2nd. I would think that she would want to send an email asking that information at least a week prior to the court date, and then maybe calling if she did not get a response two days before. Also, I had to show up in person on August 2nd. I would think she would have wanted to make sure I was going to be there. IDK how law works exactly but if I was a lawyer who had to rely on my client to be in court on a specific day, I would want to verify he or she is coming. I regret not reaching out myself. If I had known about the class and essay, I would have done that in a heartbeat. I did definitely learn a lot through this, most importantly to stop relying on my father (who does not want me to grow up) for important things like this.

If she is the senior partner of a law firm, being asked to take responsibility for a minor traffic offense, I can quite understand that she might have had other things on her mind than this one.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Your attorney isn't responsible for your completing the sentence, they ONLY represent you court. That you didn't immediately reach out after the trial is your fault, not hers. The attorney is not sanctioned for your behavior, they aren't a parent. As an adult you are the responsible party for completing your sentence, for contacting the attorney and for not acting in the way that required you to hire an attorney in the first place.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Why don't we rename this forum the Whipping Post. People can come here for advice and get flogged by members like Mark for asking for that advice.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Why don't we rename this forum the Whipping Post. People can come here for advice and get flogged by members like Mark for asking for that advice.
    And you're known for your kind and compassionate responses to folks, Bud.

There was no flogging. There was no digging at the OP, just a simple statement that the OP is responsible for their life and where the responsibilities begin and end for the attorney.

So...suck it, Bud. You don't like what I have to say then that's your problem. You made it a habit, of late, to have a go at the Sr members here and, while I don't know what's behind that, I'm not going to play beyond this one statement.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Sarrabee, yuo should know hardly anyone here is a lawyer. While many have experience with traffic offenses, about as many are knuckleheads. Even more are self-righteous jackasses who like to preach to people and "teach" them so-called moral responsibility. For whatever reason, they they get their kicks from that. I won't name any names, but you'll be able to recognize those by yourself.

Bcr229 has given you good advice. Go with that. Good luck.

Quote Quoting zeljo
    View Post
    Sarrabee, yuo should know hardly anyone here is a lawyer.
    I have no problem with you writing that, but you should follow it with "and neither am I."

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast