Default Caught Shoplifting but Wasn’t Arrested

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York

i was caught lifting and taken to the back.
    The LP took my info (permit) along with unscanned items and I signed the paper . Told I wasn’t getting a trespassers charge and could return (I won’t be). LP said it would stay internal. The cops were there already but everyone assured me it wasn’t for me but for someone they already had in custody. I did not get a copy of papers and was allowed to leave . Will I face criminal charges ? If the cops were already there wouldn’t they have already arrested me? Also I just received a letter in the mail stating: “This is a demand that you pay $206.95 in satisfaction of this civil claim. This is not an attempt to settle a debt...You have a right contest your liability in court.” Do I have to pay this and what will happen if I don’t? I am 18 but my parents don’t know this happened and I don’t want them to find another letter like this in the mail. Should I just pay it? How many of these letters should I expect?

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting but Wasn’t Arrested

It sounds like you got lucky and the store didn't want to press charges, and they gave you the option to pay the settlement. Personally, I would take the deal since paying the 200 dollar settlement is a hell of a lot better than the store pressing charges and a shoplifting record.

Also, top stealing, if you keep it up, you will get caught again. And odds are you won't get so lucky again. They'll file charges, and you'll end up with a record. And I also would recommend staying out of that store, even if they didn't technically say you couldn't return.

Quote Quoting Steve418
    View Post
    Blah
    Steve,

This thread is several weeks old and already marked as a duplicate thread. Please try not to raise stuff like this from the dead.

1. Sponsored Links