Default What Items Should an Estate Executor Be Given

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: New York

I met with my estate executor (who is a blood relative) this week to let him know what I was doing to make it easier for him. I told him that my new will is in the a bank safety deposit box. He indicated that he was surprised I had placed the will in the bank box and asked to be granted joint duel ownership of it with a dupe key, a key to my house, and a POA. Apparently he assumed I would have given him a copy of the will. When I had the new one drawn up, the attorney that did it said NOT to give it to the executor, just keep it in a safe place and let the executor know where it was. I also informed him that a POA was only good while I was still alive and at my death the POA was no longer valid. He said he didn't know that. I also indicated that I was working on a letter of instruction. This seemed to be the only thing that pleased him. We did go to the bank and I had him made joint owner of the box, but did not give him a key yet.

Now my question is - what SHOULD he be given and not given?

Default Re: What Items Should an Estate Executor Be Given

Out of curiosity, why did you start a new thread about this when there's an existing thread on pretty much the exact same subject?

Quote Quoting debodun
    View Post
    I met with my estate executor (who is a blood relative) this week
    Since you're (apparently) still alive, no such person exists. I assume you're talking about the person whom, in your will, you nominated to serve as executor after you die.

Quote Quoting debodun
    View Post
    I told him that my new will is in the a bank safety deposit box.
    As a general rule, that's a terrible place to leave a will.

Quote Quoting debodun
    View Post
    Apparently he assumed I would have given him a copy of the will.
    It would certainly be a logical and smart thing to give him a copy (if not the original).

Quote Quoting debodun
    View Post
    We did go to the bank and I had him made joint owner of the box
    This negates my comment above about an SDB being a bad place for a will. However, since you've made this person a joint owner, you'd best not keep anything else in there that you don't want him to have when you die.

Quote Quoting debodun
    View Post
    I can think of no good reason not to give him at least a copy of your will. Beyond that, since we know nothing about you or your assets or your age or state of health, it will be utterly impossible for anyone to answer this question intelligently.

Quote Quoting debodun
    View Post
    My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: New York

I met with my estate executor (who is a blood relative) this week to let him know what I was doing to make it easier for him. I told him that my new will is in the a bank safety deposit box. He indicated that he was surprised I had placed the will in the bank box and asked to be granted joint duel ownership of it with a dupe key, a key to my house, and a POA. Apparently he assumed I would have given him a copy of the will. When I had the new one drawn up, the attorney that did it said NOT to give it to the executor, just keep it in a safe place and let the executor know where it was. I also informed him that a POA was only good while I was still alive and at my death the POA was no longer valid. He said he didn't know that. I also indicated that I was working on a letter of instruction. This seemed to be the only thing that pleased him. We did go to the bank and I had him made joint owner of the box, but did not give him a key yet.

The problem with putting it in the safe deposit box is that only the executor can access the safe deposit box after you have passed away, and since the will naming him as executor will be in the safe deposit box he won't be able to demonstrate the he is the executor.

Since you made him a joint owner of the box, then put the key somewhere safe and tell him where you put it. That way when the time comes that he needs to get into the box, he will be able to find the key. He doesn't need any access to the box now.

As far as a POA or house key is concerned, if you want him to be the one to make financial and medical decisions for you if you are incapacitated then you can give him a POA. If you want him to be able to access your home whenever he wants then you can give him a key. He sounds a little demanding to me.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Out of curiosity, why did you start a new thread about this when there's an existing thread on pretty much the exact same subject?
    Do you just go through and check every posting and match it to others and look for dupes?

Quote Quoting debodun
    View Post
    Do you just go through and check every posting and match it to others and look for dupes?
    The volunteers you are asking to help you don't want to have to read duplicate threads and ask questions needed to answer your questions multiple times.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    The volunteers you are asking to help you don't want to have to read duplicate threads and ask questions needed to answer your questions multiple times.
    How do they know if a similar question has been posted, then?

Quote Quoting debodun
    View Post
    How do they know if a similar question has been posted, then?
    Because we read most of the posts.

How can you remember all of them? I can't. Maybe you are a lot younger an I am.

Quote Quoting debodun
    View Post
    How can you remember all of them? I can't. Maybe you are a lot younger an I am.
    It isn't that hard and if we see one that rings a bell we can look at the poster's history.

Quote Quoting debodun
    View Post
    Nope (and it has nothing to do with remembering the prior thread). However, noticing that you had a posting history in excess of 90 posts (that number is displayed on the far right of each post, underneath each poster's "join date"), I took a quick look and found the prior thread.

Now that I've answered your question, are you going to answer mine?

1. Sponsored Links