Default Contractor (Indiana) Left Job Incomplete for Over 60 Days

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Indiana

Contractor quote $2,800 for foundation repair. Showed up and repaired foundation but left a HUGE HOLE on the side of the house. We still have a tarp over it and it has been over 60 days. We put $1,000 down and when they sent us a bill for the balance we told him he needed to finish the job first. He had "no idea" that his guys left a huge hole on the side of our house.

About a month ago some guys came out with 5-10 bags of garden soil and threw it in....didn't even come close to filling this hole. They said they would be back the following week.

So this morning I'm getting ready to get on a conference call and these clowns show up and want to make some further lame attempt to fill this hole. The dogs were FREAKING out, I was freaking out, I told them they needed to schedule a time to be here and not just show up unannounced. At this point, I'm done. They have left this for TWO months like this! At what point can I just settle this out, fill the hole myself, and get these clowns out of my life?

Default Re: Contractor (Indiana) Left Job Incomplete for Over 60 Days

Quote Quoting edbutson
    View Post
    Showed up and repaired foundation but left a HUGE HOLE on the side of the house.

At what point can I just settle this out, fill the hole myself, and get these clowns out of my life?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "settle this out," but you're obviously free to fill up the hole any time you like.

This is why I never pay contractors up front.

Quote Quoting edbutson
    View Post

Contractor quote $2,800 for foundation repair. Showed up and repaired foundation but left a HUGE HOLE on the side of the house. We still have a tarp over it and it has been over 60 days. We put $1,000 down and when they sent us a bill for the balance we told him he needed to finish the job first. He had "no idea" that his guys left a huge hole on the side of our house.

About a month ago some guys came out with 5-10 bags of garden soil and threw it in....didn't even come close to filling this hole. They said they would be back the following week.

So this morning I'm getting ready to get on a conference call and these clowns show up and want to make some further lame attempt to fill this hole. The dogs were FREAKING out, I was freaking out, I told them they needed to schedule a time to be here and not just show up unannounced. At this point, I'm done. They have left this for TWO months like this! At what point can I just settle this out, fill the hole myself, and get these clowns out of my life?
    It is your land and your hole. You can fill it anytime you want to.

Quote Quoting edbutson
    View Post

Have you paid the contractor in full? If not, you can withhold whatever it costs you to fill the hole and hope that the contractor doesn't sue you. However, keep in mind that dirt settles over time so unless you want a dip in your yard in about a year or so, you will need to overfill the hole so that you have a mound in your yard that will gradually settle.

1. Sponsored Links