Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ticketed for Displaying Previous Owner Registration Sticker

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Texas

Im a car dealer and was stopped for expired temp tags which I didnt know expired 2 days prior. The officer noticed the previous owners registration sticker was still on the windshield and questioned why its still there. I was honest and told him i forgot to peal it off. I explained to him when dealers purchase vehicles from the auction, the auction does not peel it off at times. Im not sure if its the auctions respnsibilty or mine but in anycase he decided to give me a ticket. Violation #3714 (registration display/wrong registration). The big issue im have is this ticket is close to $400! So I was wondering what are the chances I can get a reduced fee or better yet have it dismissed? Thanks

Default Re: Ticketed for Displaying Previous Owner Registration Sticker

Quote Quoting jerzstyle00
    View Post
    So I was wondering what are the chances I can get a reduced fee or better yet have it dismissed?
    None.

You're a car dealer. You should know better.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post

That is a Houston specific news story and it is 7 years old. Prosecutors and policies change.

what's your point? You mean that prosecutors no longer plea barging or drop tickets? If that's your point, then you are incorrect. It's only gotten more the norm.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    what's your point? You mean that prosecutors no longer plea barging or drop tickets? If that's your point, then you are incorrect. It's only gotten more the norm.
    No, I mean your link is to an old news story and there is a chance that things have changed. It is hardly a legal cite.

View Post
    I was wondering what are the chances I can get a reduced fee or better yet have it dismissed?
    Why would someone dismiss a ticket that is apparently completely valid? If prosecutors were in the habit of doing that, it would royally piss off the cops.

As for the chances of a reduced fee, the answer is somewhere between 0-100%, but the speculation of anonymous strangers on the internet is utterly meaningless. Further narrowing down the likelihood would require local knowledge. Follow the procedure to dispute the ticket and see what happens (I'd suggest consulting with a local attorney, but the attorney's fees would almost certainly be greater than any savings you might realize).

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Why would someone dismiss a ticket that is apparently completely valid? If prosecutors were in the habit of doing that, it would royally piss off the cops.

As for the chances of a reduced fee, the answer is somewhere between 0-100%, but the speculation of anonymous strangers on the internet is utterly meaningless. Further narrowing down the likelihood would require local knowledge. Follow the procedure to dispute the ticket and see what happens (I'd suggest consulting with a local attorney, but the attorney's fees would almost certainly be greater than any savings you might realize).
    Well my argument would probably be is the registration sticker should be irrelevant since i have paper tags? Yes maybe the sticker should of been taken off but whats the benefit for me to leave it on? Obviously there was no intent for me to leave it on or am i wrong here?

How about you address what incentive the prosecutor has to dismiss the charge? What benefit is there for him to let you off with no consequences?

View Post
    Well my argument would probably be is the registration sticker should be irrelevant since i have paper tags? Yes maybe the sticker should of been taken off but whats the benefit for me to leave it on? Obviously there was no intent for me to leave it on or am i wrong here?
    Traffic offenses are almost always strict liability, which means that intent is not relevant.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast