Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Ticketed for Displaying Previous Owner Registration Sticker

What section of the TTC were you cited as violating? For example "section 502.040".

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    How about you address what incentive the prosecutor has to dismiss the charge? What benefit is there for him to let you off with no consequences?
    The only incentive for a prosecutor to ever dismiss the charge (or decline to prosecute) is if the prosecutor believes that the judge will dismiss the case if he doesn't, or if he believes he will lose the case. I think that the OP has a pretty good argument that he is a car dealer using paper tags therefore the old registration sticker did not benefit him in any way.

Whether it benefits him or not is beside the point. He's a car dealer; he should know better. Why should he get a free pass on something someone else would have to pay a ticket for? Because he dropped the ball? What makes you think a judge will automatically overrule a prosecutor who's got a slam dunk case?

Personally, I think the "it doesn't benefit me to forget to take off the old sticker" is a crap argument

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Whether it benefits him or not is beside the point. He's a car dealer; he should know better. Why should he get a free pass on something someone else would have to pay a ticket for? Because he dropped the ball? What makes you think a judge will automatically overrule a prosecutor who's got a slam dunk case?

Personally, I think the "it doesn't benefit me to forget to take off the old sticker" is a crap argument
    You could be right. I really don't know one way or the other. However, I still think that the "it didn't benefit me" argument holds water.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post

How or why would the previous owner get a ticket? The plates belong to me so if there would be a ticket issued it would be based off the plates not the registration sticker not really understanding your argument. Again my argument is they were irrelevant since i have dealer plates.

Quote Quoting jerzstyle00
    View Post

Im a car dealer and was stopped for expired temp tags which I didnt know expired 2 days prior.
    That's your problem right there, expired dealer plates.

View Post
    i have dealer plates.
    Had your dealer plates not been expired, you would not have been given the ticked. The statute and the Texas Administrative code would have allowed you to transport the vehicle using your dealer plates.

Sec. 503.061 of the Texas Transportation Code and
    Texas Administrative Code (Last Updated: June 9, 2019)
    TITLE 43. TRANSPORTATION
    PART 10. TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
    CHAPTER 215. MOTOR VEHICLE DISTRIBUTION
    SUBCHAPTER E. GENERAL DISTINGUISHING NUMBERS

You can try your argument before the Judge but I think you would have a better chance just saying that you were unaware that you dealer plates came due for renewal two days earlier. You did renew your plates. Right.

Regardless of whether it was your plates or your sticker that expired, anyone with either one driving expired gets a ticket. You're not special because you're a dealer. You're not special because "it didn't benefit you". You're just like anyone else and when you drive with expired plates or an expired sticker or an expired anything else, you get a ticket. It is possible you don't understand that? (And the same goes for you, ll)

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Regardless of whether it was your plates or your sticker that expired, anyone with either one driving expired gets a ticket. You're not special because you're a dealer. You're not special because "it didn't benefit you". You're just like anyone else and when you drive with expired plates or an expired sticker or an expired anything else, you get a ticket. It is possible you don't understand that? (And the same goes for you, ll)
    I am not arguing that he shouldn't get a ticket for the expired dealer tags. I was arguing that he shouldn't get a second ticket for not peeling off the former registration sticker. If he only got one ticket, then my argument is moot.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Your arguing something Im not even arguing read before commenting. I did not get a ticket because of expired plates nor expired sticker. The plates were expired but got a warning for that. I was ticketed for a registration sticker(which is still valid) that the previous owner failed to peel off. My argument is why do I get the blame.If he decided to leave it on then I shouldnt get hit for it or am I wrong? Yes I know im the " Bad Guy Dealer" that some of you are hating on but I dont recall in dealer seminar them mentioning it was my responsibility to peel that off. Also as I stated before, the sticker should be irrelevant to a officer when I have temp tags(Yes I know expired temp tags) but the point is if i was to be ticketed it should of been expired tags not a previous owners registration sticker.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    That's your problem right there, expired dealer plates.

Had your dealer plates not been expired, you would not have been given the ticked. The statute and the Texas Administrative code would have allowed you to transport the vehicle using your dealer plates.

Sec. 503.061 of the Texas Transportation Code and
    Texas Administrative Code (Last Updated: June 9, 2019)
    TITLE 43. TRANSPORTATION
    PART 10. TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
    CHAPTER 215. MOTOR VEHICLE DISTRIBUTION
    SUBCHAPTER E. GENERAL DISTINGUISHING NUMBERS

You can try your argument before the Judge but I think you would have a better chance just saying that you were unaware that you dealer plates came due for renewal two days earlier. You did renew your plates. Right.

Yes right away I got them updated.The funny thing is I had my hard dealer plates in my darn briefcase when I got stopped. Again he never ticketed me for the expired plates, he ticketed me for a previous owners registration sticker(which is current). I really think it should be the previous owners responbility to peel that off when he sold it to another party not mine.

View Post
    Your arguing something Im not even arguing read before commenting. I did not get a ticket because of expired plates nor expired sticker. The plates were expired but got a warning for that. I was ticketed for a registration sticker(which is still valid) that the previous owner failed to peel off. My argument is why do I get the blame.If he decided to leave it on then I shouldnt get hit for it or am I wrong? Yes I know im the " Bad Guy Dealer" that some of you are hating on but I dont recall in dealer seminar them mentioning it was my responsibility to peel that off. Also as I stated before, the sticker should be irrelevant to a officer when I have temp tags(Yes I know expired temp tags) but the point is if i was to be ticketed it should of been expired tags not a previous owners registration sticker.

Yes right away I got them updated.The funny thing is I had my hard dealer plates in my darn briefcase when I got stopped. Again he never ticketed me for the expired plates, he ticketed me for a previous owners registration sticker(which is current). I really think it should be the previous owners responbility to peel that off when he sold it to another party not mine.
    Then by all means make that argument to the judge. I tend to agree with you. I have no idea whether or not that would fly but I would make that argument.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast