Lightbulb What Are My Options when a "Dealer" Sells Me a Car with a Salvaged Title Unknowingly

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Tennessee
    Feb/2019 purchased Car from individual who stated he worked at lot so all paper work would go through lot.
    Paid 3800 was told i would be have a balance of 400.00 to be paid which would be the taxes left on the car.
    Upon payment of the 400 i would receive title for car. Was provided a bill of sale that stated upon payment within 30 days title would be handed over.* looking back none of this makes sense...
    He took picture of my id at time of purchase for registration purposes then messaged me two weeks later and said for me to come to the lot he's sending over some documents i stated that i don't have the remaining 400 yet so to just wait as far as sending any thing off.

Within a week i began to have problems with car. Car began to over heat. I adv seller he states it "may need a new thermostat." He tells me to pull up at his job that he can get that fixed. At the time i worked 10 a to 7p adv him that i should be able to do so in a day or two. The following day I go through a drive through and the radiator busts leaking all fluids.. adv seller of the issue that had occurred. Seller stated he apologizes, he states he will pay for half of radiator if i pay the other half and he will install free of charge.. he states that if i would have just came and got the thermostat done i would not have the issue.. upon taking the radiator out there are parts that do not belong with car seller fixes radiator does not give half money back. Seller states he need some tools to fix the thermostat but i should be okay for now.... on my way to the local Walmart my car stalls me and my kids have to sit in the cold for an hour and wait on seller to come and properly fix something.. to this day I don't know what.. I ask seller would he like to just give me my money back i was under the impression that the car was "mechanically sound." in his words... he states that no he will "Get me right, he values his customers." I continue to have problems with car. A serpentine belt issue that he was aware of but did not disclose even though he knew of the financial issues i had been having... did not disclose the car needs new axles and a lot of under carriage work...
    I adv seller a month later that i would like to just sell car instead of paying remaining balance of 400 for it. i would use next purchaser money to pay off seller... he states that is fine and to just let him know when i have met with the purchaser.. meet up with someone they are interested in buying car.... adv seller and i ask where is the title he states that the title was sent off and he's waiting to here something back.. i asked him what should i do because the car needs work and it is no longer safe for me to continue driving it knowing the extent of the work that is needed. He states that i can just have purchaser meet with him and he will give bill of sale. Purchaser stated that he does not agree with methods and declines to buy vehicle. i decide to halt the selling of vehicle until title comes back.... I ask him why is he waiting on a title for a car he sold to me.. and he stated that the title was in the dealerships name that when he sold it to me he sent it off in his name until i was able to pay remaining balance of 400..i told him that is very weird and he states it is my fault i should have came to sign documents..
    Me and him go back and forth about the title for months. i asked him why is it taking so long for the title to come back. He states that he had mailed off a lot of documents the same day and maybe there was a mix up .. he states he will be calling Nashville to see what the hold up is....
    Around this time i have an individual message me. They ask where did i purchase my car.. i did not want to tell them due to the issues i had been having and explained that to them. They proceed to tell me that back in Feb. before i purchased the car they had an agreement with seller and began to make payments on a down payment on a car (happened to be the same one.) After i purchased the car they were still in communication with the seller about the same vehicle.. This individual proceeds to send me messages where the seller tells him that the car was seized by the police for a robbery investigation and tries to sel him a different one .. meanwhile this whole time i have the car... i explain this to the individual... i then proceed to confront the seller he tells me i don't know what im talking about
    I began to question seller about the title because it is now late may and i have had the car since feb... i have wanted to get out of the car since march. The seller send me a photo of a document.* He ignores me for a few weeks then inboxes me and states he is sorry about the whole situation that he will knock off the 400 dollars. He says this is to prove to me that the issue isnt him witht the title its the state. The document was a Application for Motor Vehicle Identification Certification.. I didn't know what that was so i did a quick google check and asked a family friend... upon the google check i realize that the only reason you would need to fill that application out is if a vehicle has a salvaged title and you're applying to get one rebuilt... i was never once told that this vehicle did not have a clear title... i questions individual i am ignored... after plenty of messages he states that he told me this and even if he didnt it was posted on fb.. i told him i didn't purchase car off of fb ad. I asked did you have any vehicles for sales and you sent pictures of this one... and you still don't have title.......* i end up having to take time out of my day and i call Nashville vehicle had a salvaged title up until July 11th... that is 5 full months after purchase of vehicle... not even that this vehicle is not in my name and he just now go the rebuilt title in July and has yet to even give that to me... It is now august. I have no title the car is is not register to me. and the tags are no longer good after oct, so what do I do legally? Help me .

Default Re: What Are My Options when a "Dealer" Sells Me a Car with a Salvaged Title Unknowin

Sorry, you got scammed by a low life. You had plenty of opportunity to see it coming.

Feb/2019 purchased Car from individual who stated he worked at lot so all paper work would go through lot.
    That should have set off alarm bells right there.

Paid 3800 was told i would be have a balance of 400.00 to be paid which would be the taxes left on the car.
    Upon payment of the 400 i would receive title for car. Was provided a bill of sale that stated upon payment within 30 days title would be handed over.* looking back none of this makes sense...
    Too late.

You can sue him to unwind the deal but he probably won't show up and you'll get a default judgment which you may never be able to collect. Or he'll show up and claim you bought the car AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and you'll lose because you can't prove otherwise.

I didn't read the whole thing but if you don't have title yet Tennessee may allow you to post a bond to get title. But you'll be stuck with a salvage title. Won't matter. The car's not worth much and in a couple of years nobody will care about the title because you aren't likely to get more than a couple hundred for it.

If you still don't have title in your name, look into posting a bond.

https://law.justia.com/codes/tenness...tion-55-3-103/

Default Re: What Are My Options when a "Dealer" Sells Me a Car with a Salvaged Title Unknowin

What if I have messages for every thing. Back to that date?

Quote Quoting Mat3
    View Post
    What if I have messages for every thing. Back to that date?
    Text messages?

Iffy (but not impossible) when it comes to using text messages in court.

You can study up on it by reading the information in the following search results:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tennessee+...&t=ffab&ia=web

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Sorry, you got scammed by a low life. You had plenty of opportunity to see it coming.
    They had plenty of opportunity before putting a down payment or purchasing the vehicle to have a privet vehicle inspection and VIN search too... I really don't understand why people do things that they do, especially when they haven't a clue about something they are about to do/buy...
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links