Default Ticket from Use of Auto High-Beams System

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Virginia

I was driving in dark conditions utilizing the "Auto High-Beam" system of my 2019 Ford F150. The system automatically adjusts the beam to the conditions in the environment and is offered as a safety option on these vehicles.

I was stopped and ticketed for "Fail to dim high beams - moving" Virginia 46.2 - 1034 (15-6). The fine is minimal, $30.00, but caries a processing fee and a local fee.

The "Auto High-Beam" system automatically turns the high beams on or off depending upon the conditions and upon whether the sensor detects oncoming headlights or taillights at a predetermined distance. The auto feature has been working and I plan to go to the Ford to get a statement stating they are working to take to court.

My question is do you think I should just pay the ticket or is it worth going to court in hopes that it would be thrown out of court.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can provide me.

Default Re: Ticket from Use of Auto High-Beams System

If you didn't dim the lights to oncoming/overtaken traffic, auto system or not, you're guilty.
    You can try arguing that the auto system was working fine in court. You've got little to lose but your time. The costs/fee run it up to just under $100. It's a three pointer.

Quote Quoting perryandperry
    View Post
    My question is do you think I should just pay the ticket
    Yes. For starters, whatever "statement" you think you're going to get from "the Ford" (you sound like a character from Brave New World!) won't likely be admissible in court. Moreover, whether this "auto high-beam" system was or wasn't working correctly is irrelevant, and you might want to ask "the Ford" how to disable it lest you continue to get tickets for the same thing.

The way the law is written, if there are streetlights and you use high beam, you're pretty much guilty: "Whenever a vehicle is being driven on a highway or a portion thereof which is sufficiently lighted to reveal any person or object upon such highway at a distance of 350 feet ahead, the operator of such vehicle shall use the low beam of his vehicle's headlights or shall dim the headlights if the vehicle has single-beam lights." If there were no street lights where you were cited, you can try the approach you suggest.

By any chance, did you have a heavy load in the back of the truck? This can lower the rear end, aiming the headlights higher than usual.

Maybe you can convince the judge that the high beams weren't actually on.

Good luck!

1. Sponsored Links