Default Caught Shoplifting in Target in New York

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York

I was caught shoplifting about 40$ worth of merchandise from the Target at my mall. I got off inordinately easy: I was taken to a back office and the guy who caught me said the form I signed was just going to stay at the Target office in the file cabinets. He specifically told me that I wouldn’t have a criminal record (the cops were there but everyone assured me it wasn’t for me but for another guy they had in custody) and it wouldn’t be visible to my schools either, that if anyone tried to search for the record of my getting caught they wouldn’t be able to find it. More or less, he told me it was just between me and Target. He also told me that I was being given a second chance and since it was my first offense I would not be getting a trespassers charge and I would be free to come back to this Target at any time, obviously with the caveat that I not steal again. I am 18 so he told me he would have to take my photo and he took it on his phone. He told me I would be fine and free to come back but I would most likely be closely watched. I gave him my id (permit) and he wrote some information on a sheet and had me sign it. My parents were not called and I basically got off with a warning and some basic information on me taken down. My friend seemed to think it was more of a scare tactic, which was successful as I’m never stealing again or stepping foot into that Target if I can help it. My question is: will my photo be posted for everyone to see or just the employees/ security? Also, I’m going to college in California and will most likely be doing dorm shopping there. Is it likely that I will be stopped or questioned there? I am very nervous as my family frequents that Target quite often and am ashamed of what I did and would not like them or anyone I know to see my photo up or have them be suspicious about why I cannot go dorm shopping in a Target.

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting in Target in New York

1. STOP STEALING.
    2. STAY OUT OF THE TARGET YOU WERE STEALING FROM
    3. STOP STEALING
    4. You can possibly expect a letter from Target's "lawyers" demanding compensation for damage people like you cause them.
    5. STOP STEALING
    6. If contacted by the police or prosecutor, declined to speak to them. Contact a lawyer if they push or you're charged.
    7. STOP STEALING.

They are not going to post your photo somewhere public. If they indeed decline to report you to the police/prosecutor, you were very lucky.

Quote Quoting Addie9983
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: New York

I was caught shoplifting about 40$ worth of merchandise from the Target at my mall. I got off inordinately easy: I was taken to a back office and the guy who caught me said the form I signed was just going to stay at the Target office in the file cabinets. He specifically told me that I wouldn’t have a criminal record (the cops were there but everyone assured me it wasn’t for me but for another guy they had in custody) and it wouldn’t be visible to my schools either, that if anyone tried to search for the record of my getting caught they wouldn’t be able to find it. More or less, he told me it was just between me and Target. He also told me that I was being given a second chance and since it was my first offense I would not be getting a trespassers charge and I would be free to come back to this Target at any time, obviously with the caveat that I not steal again. I am 18 so he told me he would have to take my photo and he took it on his phone. He told me I would be fine and free to come back but I would most likely be closely watched. I gave him my id (permit) and he wrote some information on a sheet and had me sign it. My parents were not called and I basically got off with a warning and some basic information on me taken down. My friend seemed to think it was more of a scare tactic, which was successful as I’m never stealing again or stepping foot into that Target if I can help it. My question is: will my photo be posted for everyone to see or just the employees/ security? Also, I’m going to college in California and will most likely be doing dorm shopping there. Is it likely that I will be stopped or questioned there? I am very nervous as my family frequents that Target quite often and am ashamed of what I did and would not like them or anyone I know to see my photo up or have them be suspicious about why I cannot go dorm shopping in a Target.
    Stay out of that Target, in fact, just stay out of Target, period. Shop elsewhere. Why would shopping at Target specifically even be important to anyone in your family? Just tell them that you prefer somewhere else. In fact, if you are traveling from NY to CA for college, it would be foolish to do dorm shopping in NY. You need to do that in CA.

It continues to baffle me that so many shoplifters feel the need not only to confess to their crimes on public internet forums but also to identify the victims of their crimes.

Quote Quoting Addie9983
    View Post
    I was caught shoplifting about 40$ worth of merchandise from [a retail store] at my mall.
    My mall? What does that mean? I assume you don't own the mall.

Quote Quoting Addie9983
    View Post
    and it wouldn’t be visible to my schools either
    Schools? Plural? What sort of school(s) are you talking about? Are you in high school or college?

Quote Quoting Addie9983
    View Post
    that if anyone tried to search for the record of my getting caught they wouldn’t be able to find it. More or less, he told me it was just between me and [the store].
    Well...since there is no public record of shoplifters caught by store loss prevention, this is a bit of a "duh."

Quote Quoting Addie9983
    View Post
    I gave him my id (permit) and he wrote some information on a sheet and had me sign it.
    Did you obtain a copy of this "sheet" that you signed? What did it say?

Quote Quoting Addie9983
    View Post
    My parents were not called
    Since you're an adult, that's not surprising.

Quote Quoting Addie9983
    View Post
    will my photo be posted for everyone to see or just the employees/ security?
    Posted where? Are you supposing folks here know the specifics how how the victim of your crime handles matters like this? Have you ever visited any sort of store like this where photos of shoplifters were displayed?

Quote Quoting Addie9983
    View Post
    I’m going to college in California and will most likely be doing dorm shopping there. Is it likely that I will be stopped or questioned there?
    I assume "there" refers to other stores owned by the same company as the store where you committed your crime. If so, again, folks here aren't likely to know anything about how that store's loss prevention system works.

Quote Quoting Addie9983
    View Post
    I am very nervous as my family frequents that [store where you committed your crime] quite often and am ashamed of what I did and would not like them or anyone I know to see my photo up or have them be suspicious about why I cannot go dorm shopping in a [particular retail store].
    Given what the loss prevention person told you, it sounds like your concerns are not well founded.

New questions from the duplicate thread you started today:

"Will I face criminal charges ?"

No way for us to predict this intelligently.

"If the cops were already there wouldn’t they have already arrested me?"

Unlikely that a custodial arrest would be made for a shoplifting charge.

"Also I just received a letter in the mail stating: 'This is a demand that you pay $206.95 in satisfaction of this civil claim. This is not an attempt to settle a debt...You have a right contest your liability in court.' Do I have to pay this"

No.

"what will happen if I don’t?"

You might get sued in small claims court.

"I am 18 but my parents don’t know this happened and I don’t want them to find another letter like this in the mail. Should I just pay it?"

That's not for anyone here to say.

"How many of these letters should I expect?"

Only someone familiar with the loss prevention policies and practices of your victim will be able to provide a reliable answer to this question.

1. Sponsored Links