Question Defective Nikon Camera - Small Claims

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: South Carolina

I bought a refurbished camera bundle online, from Nikon Corp as a Christmas present in December, 2018. It included a camera body & two lenses. One of the lenses would not work with the camera body. Over the next 4 months, at Nikon's request & expense, I sent the lens back three times, once with the camera body. Although each time I was assured the lens was repaired, the problem persisted. The last time, I received a notice from Nikon, stating that the lens was not compatible with the camera body (although it was sold as a bundle).
    After the first attempt to repair was unsuccessful, I disputed the charge with Capital One credit and the charge was temporarily reversed. A few months later, Capital One requested more information to include a Professional 2nd opinion. I supplied all the requested info except the 2nd opinion, believing that Nikon's own admission of incompatibility would be sufficient. Capital One closed my case for lacking the 2nd opinion, reassessed the charges, Nikon claims the bundle is now out of warranty and Capital One refuses to reopen my dispute as it has been more than 6 months from the purchase date.
    I have written so many emails to Nikon that they have blocked my email address - recent emails have come back as "undelivered".
    Meanwhile, the camera & two lenses ($508.00) have been sitting next to my desk in a sealed carton, waiting for a return label, for the past 3 months.
    Question ... because both Nikon & Capital One do business in Beaufort County, am I able to bring an action against them in a local Court.

The above is the note I wrote to an Attorney friend, who answered in the affirmative ... that I could bring an action against both Corporations. Capital One is registered in the State of So Carolina with an agent in Columbia.
    Nikon is not registered with the Secretary of State, although Mitsubishi, the Parent Company, is.
    How do I go about finding a corporate agent for Nikon?
    Thanks !!!

Default Re: Defective Nikon Camera - Small Claims

Quote Quoting Trim42
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: South Carolina

I bought a refurbished camera bundle online, from Nikon Corp as a Christmas present in December, 2018. It included a camera body & two lenses. One of the lenses would not work with the camera body. Over the next 4 months, at Nikon's request & expense, I sent the lens back three times, once with the camera body. Although each time I was assured the lens was repaired, the problem persisted. The last time, I received a notice from Nikon, stating that the lens was not compatible with the camera body (although it was sold as a bundle).
    After the first attempt to repair was unsuccessful, I disputed the charge with Capital One credit and the charge was temporarily reversed. A few months later, Capital One requested more information to include a Professional 2nd opinion. I supplied all the requested info except the 2nd opinion, believing that Nikon's own admission of incompatibility would be sufficient. Capital One closed my case for lacking the 2nd opinion, reassessed the charges, Nikon claims the bundle is now out of warranty and Capital One refuses to reopen my dispute as it has been more than 6 months from the purchase date.
    I have written so many emails to Nikon that they have blocked my email address - recent emails have come back as "undelivered".
    Meanwhile, the camera & two lenses ($508.00) have been sitting next to my desk in a sealed carton, waiting for a return label, for the past 3 months.
    Question ... because both Nikon & Capital One do business in Beaufort County, am I able to bring an action against them in a local Court.

The above is the note I wrote to an Attorney friend, who answered in the affirmative ... that I could bring an action against both Corporations. Capital One is registered in the State of So Carolina with an agent in Columbia.
    Nikon is not registered with the Secretary of State, although Mitsubishi, the Parent Company, is.
    How do I go about finding a corporate agent for Nikon?
    Thanks !!!
    Your beef is with Nikon, not Capital One. Capital One is not required to reverse the charges for you. Nikon was the seller and is the one that had the contract with you.

What does the contract you had with Nikon say about how disputes are to be resolved? If it is the Nikon store terms and conditions that apply then note that you must first attempt to informally resolve the matter in writing to the address given in those terms. If the matter is not resolved within 60 days then your choices are to either sue in small claims court or take the matter to arbitration. If you cannot find an authorized agent for service for Nikon in the state then it appears that you may make service by mail to the corporate secretary at it's headquarters address as stated in its most recent annual report. See SC Code section 15-9-240.

1. Sponsored Links