Default Daughter 24yrs Old Has Moved Out of the Apartment I Leased to Her -Month to Month

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New York Steuben County
    I leased her a one bedroom apartment in my upstairs apartment.month to month in May 2019 - she was to pay $175 a week until $700 a month was paid. She never paid anything. She has moved out in July but left a lot of her property and clothes. Couch, dressers, baby bed. She said she would have her possesions out by 8/1/19 but that has not happened. i offered to move her stuff to where she is living but she said I am not allowed there. What can I do? She has never paid utilities or rent. I am her father.

Default Re: Daughter 24yrs Old Has Moved Out of the Apartment I Leased to Her -Month to Month

Do about what?
    If you had a lease, you can sue her over the unpaid rent, but if she doesn't have it, you're not getting it.
    NY isn't good on abandoned property. Unless you want to go to the extent of evicting her formally, I suggest you just box it up and store it somewhere if you're trying to recover the room.

Default Re: Daughter 24yrs Old Has Moved Out of the Apartment I Leased to Her -Month to Month

Quote Quoting pint47
    View Post
    I leased her a one bedroom apartment in my upstairs apartment.
    So...an apartment within an apartment?

Quote Quoting pint47
    View Post
    What can I do?
    I'm confident that you can do any number of things.

What has she told you about her intent (or lack thereof) to retrieve her belongings?

Are you prepared to discard her stuff and/or sue her and potentially destroy your relationship with her?

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    So...an apartment within an apartment?

I'm confident that you can do any number of things.

What has she told you about her intent (or lack thereof) to retrieve her belongings?

Are you prepared to discard her stuff and/or sue her and potentially destroy your relationship with her?
    It certainly does sound like things are a bit strained now. Are you truly prepared for what could happen if you discard her belongings?

1. Sponsored Links