Question Have Title, but Car Never Registered. How to Sell or Transfer Car

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: RI.

My wife inherited a car 7 years ago (from a relative in another). She has in her possession the title, which shows ownership of the car being transferred to her. But the car was never registered since she inherited it (long story). The market value of the car is about $1,000.00.

Question: is there anyway to sell, donate or otherwise get rid of this car---without now registering it (and paying back taxes etc)?

Default Re: Have Title, but Car Never Registered. How to Sell or Transfer Car

Nope, it would be title jumping.

That said you could tell them the car has been unusable and the only thing that would likely be due is property taxes which should be minimal and may even be waived if you can get them to believe it was a nonworking car for the last seven years.

Default Re: Have Title, but Car Never Registered. How to Sell or Transfer Car

Best place to get this question answered would be the Division of Motor Vehicles.

1. Sponsored Links