Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Adoption of Child by Unmarried Person

My question involves adoption law for the State of: Indiana

I am asking this for my granddaughter. She gave birth to son when she was 15 years old. The child is now 12 years old. Up until about 3 years ago the biological father had visitation. During one visitation CPS got involved as father had a drug problem. He was in and out of jail for the last 3 years and behind on child support. He has now become current on child support and has filed to have visitation re-established as mother has not let him or his family see or speak to the child for 3 years.

She has been living with a man for the last 3 years and he has become like a surrogate father to the child. They are not married. She does not want the biological father or his family to have visitation. She tries to make the argument that the child is in sports and can not be away for visitation. There is a court date scheduled in 2 weeks on father's motion to re-establish visitation.

So now she has decided that she wants her boyfriend to adopt the child. My question is in the State of Indiana can an unmarried man sue for adoption of a non-biological child? Even if the biological father wants to be in the child's life? I don't personally think that what she is doing is right but I am wondering if a court would grant such a request?

If you ask the child, out of ear shot of his mother, he says he would like to see his father again. But his mother gets so upset that he is afraid of making her mad.

Thank you.

Default Re: Adoption of Child by Unmarried Person

No judge will allow that.

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    My question is in the State of Indiana can an unmarried man sue for adoption of a non-biological child? Even if the biological father wants to be in the child's life?
    The answer is that the mother's boyfriend has absolutely no shot at adopting the child over the objections of the legal father (and since bio dad has been ordered to pay support he must have been determined the legal father) so long as the legal father's parental rights have not been terminated. Moreover, the mother would be foolish to do it even if it were possible. She may not realize it, but unlike step parent adoption, adoption by her boyfriend would mean that she also would lose her parental rights to the child. She won't get what she wants via adoption. Like it or not, the father has a legal right to visitation so long as he has not been determined unfit.

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    My question involves adoption law for the State of: Indiana

I am asking this for my granddaughter. She gave birth to son when she was 15 years old. The child is now 12 years old. Up until about 3 years ago the biological father had visitation. During one visitation CPS got involved as father had a drug problem. He was in and out of jail for the last 3 years and behind on child support. He has now become current on child support and has filed to have visitation re-established as mother has not let him or his family see or speak to the child for 3 years.

She has been living with a man for the last 3 years and he has become like a surrogate father to the child. They are not married. She does not want the biological father or his family to have visitation. She tries to make the argument that the child is in sports and can not be away for visitation. There is a court date scheduled in 2 weeks on father's motion to re-establish visitation.

So now she has decided that she wants her boyfriend to adopt the child. My question is in the State of Indiana can an unmarried man sue for adoption of a non-biological child? Even if the biological father wants to be in the child's life? I don't personally think that what she is doing is right but I am wondering if a court would grant such a request?

If you ask the child, out of ear shot of his mother, he says he would like to see his father again. But his mother gets so upset that he is afraid of making her mad.

Thank you.
    What your granddaughter wants simply cannot be done. You already have an explanation of why the adoption is not possible/is a horrible idea.

Your granddaughter can make the argument that dad should have supervised visitation based on dad's drug problems and being in and out of jail. She can even make the argument that visitation should be scheduled around the child's sports schedule for similar reasons, but she is not going to be able to stop dad getting some kind of visitation with the child. If she comes across poorly to the judge, the judge may just order the guidelines to be followed, with no consideration for any issues dad might have, so she needs to tread lightly.

Thanks. Now if I can only get her to listen. lol She has already paid a retainer fee to some lawyer to get this started. I don't understand why the lawyer did not simply tell her this or if she portrayed it as something different.

She says that they will get married if they have to and do step-parent adoption. But father will still protest as he wants visitation rights re-established. The Court never took them away, the mother just stopped letting him have them after CPS investigated the father's living arrangements.

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    But father will still protest as he wants visitation rights re-established. The Court never took them away, the mother just stopped letting him have them after CPS investigated the father's living arrangements.
    Hopefully Dadalso filed against your granddaughter for contempt for denying court-ordered parenting time.

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post

She says that they will get married if they have to and do step-parent adoption. But father will still protest as he wants visitation rights re-established.
    The step-parent adoption won't happen. The father will get visitation back.

Your granddaughter is her own worst enemy. She is likely to spend tens of thousands of dollars before she figures that out.

Meantime, the 12 year old is likely to grow up damaged because of what she is putting him through.

From your thread Phone Deactivated by Mother

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    BTW, I am 27.
    Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    On my own, making my own money, have my own home. That is another reason she is pissed. I do not talk with her, that is why she sent my stepfather.
    From this thread:

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    I am asking this for my granddaughter. She gave birth to son when she was 15 years old. The child is now 12 years old.
    So which is it? Are you a 27 year old trying to get free of your mom or a great grandmother to a 12 year old boy?

I am ggmother to 12 year old boy. My other granddaughter is 27 year old and posting under my id.

You should change your password.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast