Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Adoption of Child by Unmarried Person

FYI, there is no "biological" and "non-biological" father here. There's just the father. Your granddaughter's boyfriend is not any type of father

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    My question is in the State of Indiana can an unmarried man sue for adoption of a non-biological child? Even if the biological father wants to be in the child's life? I don't personally think that what she is doing is right but I am wondering if a court would grant such a request?
    Putting aside that the man in question is not married to the mother, the only way the adoption could happen would be if the father consented or his parental rights were terminated. Given what you told us, it seems unlikely that the child's father would consent, and your post suggests no basis for terminating his rights. Even if one of those things could happen, it is unlikely that a court would allow a mere boyfriend to adopt.

It's also worth pointing out that your post strongly suggests that your granddaughter is not acting in her son's best interests.

I don't see the problem with my granddaughter using my id to ask a question. Guess I am just old fashioned thinking on that.

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    Thanks. Now if I can only get her to listen. lol She has already paid a retainer fee to some lawyer to get this started. I don't understand why the lawyer did not simply tell her this or if she portrayed it as something different.
    It's worth pointing out that you're getting information here from anonymous strangers, not all of whom are lawyers and who may or may not be in Indiana. For example, I know that "Taxing Matters" is an attorney (but not in Indiana, which is also true for me), but I have no information whether anyone else who has responded in this thread is an attorney. In other words, in all things, information obtained from a local attorney is far more reliable than anything obtained on an internet message board.

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    I don't see the problem with my granddaughter using my id to ask a question. Guess I am just old fashioned thinking on that.

Creating an account here is free. But you do agree to certain things when creating an account. Your granddaughter has not agreed to those things.

Plus it causes confusion.

I agree with your comment about not acting in her son's best interests. I have tried to talk to her about that. She is just upset and a little stubborn about the father's mother being involved in child's life. I think that somewhere in the past there was some bad blood between the two. I just told her that I did not think it was a good idea and did not think she could do in the State of Indiana. She does not want to listen so I told her I would ask. She got the idea in her head when she got the papers for re-establishing visitation. The father has other children and one of them is married and petitioned the Court and won that her husband would adopt their child. She said the father failed to appear so his parental rights were terminated. I tried to tell her that that was a different situation but once she got it in her head, she won't get it out. She is adamant about her son seeing the father and other grandmother.

Ok. I will tell her to get her own account the next time. Thanks.

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    Thanks. Now if I can only get her to listen. lol She has already paid a retainer fee to some lawyer to get this started. I don't understand why the lawyer did not simply tell her this or if she portrayed it as something different.

She says that they will get married if they have to and do step-parent adoption. But father will still protest as he wants visitation rights re-established. The Court never took them away, the mother just stopped letting him have them after CPS investigated the father's living arrangements.
    Let her waste her money and find out that she's not going to get what she wants. She's not going to listen to you or anyone else. It's unfortunate that her child has to suffer because of it though. Most likely the father will get visitation and she is going to have to deal with it. If he won't relinquish his rights, no stepparent adoption will happen either.

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    It could be an issue if someone uses your ID to post things...in this technological age you shouldn't let anyone use your passwords or accounts.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2