Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Phone Deactivated by Mother

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: INdiana

Default Re: Phone Deactivated by Mother

And you question is?

You can either edit your original post or reply to the thread.

Buy your own phone. If you are to young, listen to your mother so she doesn't have to disconnect your phone once she turns it back on for you.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Sorry. My computer froze. 3 years ago my mother got a phone contract for me under her name with Verizon. I had no credit. The contract was up in September. I contacted Verizon and was set up to start a new plan under my name in September as I have credit now.

I have never missed a payment. In August, my mother got a burr up her ass (she is a drug addict and sometimes gets crazy) and called Verizon and told them the phone was stolen and the account was a fraud. She had the account shut off. I can not use the phone on another plan as they have been reported as fraud.

I had to go out and spend money to get 2 new phones and a new contract. This was $250.

Now my step-father contacted me and said my mother wants me to pay the August and September bill, the fee for breaking the contract, and the fee to reconnect. It would be about $900. She said if I don't she will get an attorney and take me to Court.

I don't believe that this is fair. I was never late and this helped her credit score. I was going to switch it to my name after the contract was over in September. I was going to use the current phones. But now I can't because they were reported stolen.

If she does take me to Court (which I really don't believe she will, I think she if bluffing) what do you think will happen? Will I have to pay her the fee for breaking the contract and a fee to unlock the phones for me to take to another contract?

BTW, I am 27.

I sure hope you aren't still living in your mother's home.

I think she is full hot air and I suggest you stop talking to her. Ignore her threats. If she does sue you, you defend. You can subpoena Verizon's records to show who did what. I don't think she would win but that's just my two cents worth.

You probably should have unhooked yourself from her apron strings (phone wise) a long time ago. Plenty of phone services don't require contracts or credit and you can get some pretty inexpensive refurbished phones.

Threatening to sue is not suing. People run their mouths all the time about suing but never follow through. People who are serious about it typically don't run their mouths, they just do it.

It sounds like in the future you need to keep your mother at arm's length and don't enter any contracts or financial entanglements with her.

I am trying to untangle her from my life as all she is about is drama. Getting it set up with Verizon to take over the contract when it was up in September was a step. I think that is another one of the reasons she went off, she liked me dependent on her. She is always telling people that no matter what she does to us (her children) we always come back to her. I think she sees that we are really over that now and are making our lives drama free and she does not like that.

On my own, making my own money, have my own home. That is another reason she is pissed. I do not talk with her, that is why she sent my stepfather.

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    I am trying to untangle her from my life as all she is about is drama. Getting it set up with Verizon to take over the contract when it was up in September was a step. I think that is another one of the reasons she went off, she liked me dependent on her. She is always telling people that no matter what she does to us (her children) we always come back to her. I think she sees that we are really over that now and are making our lives drama free and she does not like that.

On my own, making my own money, have my own home. That is another reason she is pissed. I do not talk with her, that is why she sent my stepfather.
    If she does take you to small claims court, you might consider countersuing her for the cost of the new phones since her false claim that your previous phone were stolen caused you to have to buy new ones.

I hope you made it clear to your stepfather that you have no desire for that service to be reconnected.

Thanks. I offered to pay the bill for August, but they did not want that. They want it all.

Quote Quoting blady
    View Post
    Thanks. I offered to pay the bill for August, but they did not want that. They want it all.
    They deserve nothing.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast