Default I Expressed Interest in Moving Out but Not Did Say I Was Cancelling the Lease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Illinois

1. I signed a contract for a year at a furnished apartment
    2. I move in and a few days later i find out there's a gigantic vomit stain and the bed frame is messed up.
    3. I text landlord saying this sucks, please fix asap.
    4. Landlord texts back I will fix this tomorrow morning
    5. The next day after work at 6pm I get back and the issue is not fixed. I have not received any update from landlord. I assume given initial carelessness, he forgot
    6. I text verbatim "No one came, i am not interested in staying past the end of the month, please start looking for other people"
    7. He says they're 7 hours late and will get there
    8. They fix the issue and I say thanks all good to him. (I assume since the issue is fixed its understood, that i was no longer interested in moving out )
    9. He never follows up, asks for clarification, or mentions anything about me saying i was interested in moving out.
    10. A week later he says he's found someone else for the end of the month and that I cancelled the lease not him.

I don't know anything but I would think that I never said I was cancelling the contract and he never asked for clarification that he can't legally say I cancelled and sign someone else on. Especially since that interested was based on two issues that ended up being resolved. I never had means to cancel the contract in the first place, there was no early termination clause or anything.

What should I do?

Default Re: I Expressed Interest in Moving Out but Not Did Say I Was Cancelling the Lease

Quote Quoting confusedman5
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Illinois

1. I signed a contract for a year at a furnished apartment
    2. I move in and a few days later i find out there's a gigantic vomit stain and the bed frame is messed up.
    3. I text landlord saying this sucks, please fix asap.
    4. Landlord texts back I will fix this tomorrow morning
    5. The next day after work at 6pm I get back and the issue is not fixed. I have not received any update from landlord. I assume given initial carelessness, he forgot
    6. I text verbatim "No one came, i am not interested in staying past the end of the month, please start looking for other people"
    7. He says they're 7 hours late and will get there
    8. They fix the issue and I say thanks all good to him. (I assume since the issue is fixed its understood, that i was no longer interested in moving out )
    9. He never follows up, asks for clarification, or mentions anything about me saying i was interested in moving out.
    10. A week later he says he's found someone else for the end of the month and that I cancelled the lease not him.

I don't know anything but I would think that I never said I was cancelling the contract and he never asked for clarification that he can't legally say I cancelled and sign someone else on. Especially since that interested was based on two issues that ended up being resolved. I never had means to cancel the contract in the first place, there was no early termination clause or anything.

What should I do?
    Tell him that since the issues were fixed, you are not moving out...OR, go ahead and move out because its likely that further problems will arise with this landlord.

Default Re: I Expressed Interest in Moving Out but Not Did Say I Was Cancelling the Lease

Basically, "I'm moving out" = "I'm cancelling the lease."

And "please start looking for other people" pretty much does it.

1. Sponsored Links