Default Storage Bussiness Closing

My question involves business law in the state of: Dallas Texas.

My father owns a Storage Business, not the land where this is, the business is closing because the city is expanding the freeway and is taking part of the land where the business is. this has already a lot of problems with security and other problems cause by the construction and because of this there is no more business but some clients doesn't want to leave the units they are renting, they were notified more than 6 months by father why this is closing but obviously they want money, a lot witch doesn't make any sense.

how can my father take out this people legally to return the land to the owners. what he is making is not enough to pay the rent, there are many thinks that need to be repair and the owners of the land doesn't want to do it causing more problems to security and the business.

Thank you.

Default Re: Storage Bussiness Closing

Alas, unless the condemnation completely makes the property unusable, he's obliged to continue to honor his leases with the existing tenants whose properties are not affected by the taking. He needs to bring his leases to an attorney to see what his options truly are.

How much he is making and how difficult things are for him don't really enter into his obligations on existing contracts.

Quote Quoting lmartinez073
    View Post
    how can my father take out this people legally
    Take out as in kill? That's obviously not legal. Take out as in buy them lunch or dinner? Why would you think that might not be legal?

Not really sure what your'e asking. If your father gave the people storing stuff proper notice and they haven't removed their stuff, then that's their problem. It's not any different than if someone didn't pay rent for the facility. Of course, I'm assuming that the storage contracts (which would not typically be considered leases) give your father the right to terminate at any time upon giving notice.

I agree that your father ought to be consulting with a local attorney.

Thank you for your advice, if you are in Texas, do you know any local attorney for Business?

We don't do attorney referrals here. But there are thousands in the Dallas area.

Quote Quoting lmartinez073
    View Post
    Thank you for your advice, if you are in Texas, do you know any local attorney for Business?
    If you google "find a lawyer in ____ texas," that should do the trick.

If the land is being taken under eminent domain and your father's business is being impacted in a negative way (even though he doesn't own the land), then he should talk to an attorney that specializes in eminent domain. It's not just the property owner that is impacted by the taking but your father who I assume has a lease on the property and may lose his business as a result of the taking.

1. Sponsored Links