Default Caught Shoplifting at Target in Troy Michigan

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but I am not sure what to do next. This is something I am not proud of and very sorry for what I have done and I will NOT be doing this ever again as I was honestly scared out of my mind.
    I was caught at Target shoplifting at Target. They searched through the database and found I had done it other times by searching the video and credit card purchases. The total is around $395.00
    Thankfully the The police were not called, however they did say they were going to file with the Police.
    They also said I would be receiving a civil request for the items considered stolen. I have read not to pay the civil request for money when it shows but I don't want to cause any more pain.
    How likely will the courts decide to prosecute. I am hoping this will not go to the courts but I know Target is big on Shoplifting.
    Also how likely will it be they contact other targets in the area?

I guess I am not sure what to expect and what to do next, I do not want this on my record and am trying to figure out what to do.
    Please help and if this is not the right thread I can re-post somewhere else

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting at Target in Troy Michigan

Courts don't decide to prosecute, the local DA's office does. If they file a report and have you on video, there's a good chance they will report to police and the DA will charge you. Interesting that you didn't consider not stealing until after you got caught....what you do is get an attorney.

If they reported it to the authorities, there's a good chance that you WILL be prosecuted. This is almost certainly independent on whether you pay the civil demand or not.

What to expect:

1. Expect a letter from Target's "lawyers" demanding compensation for damage that people like you cause them.
    2. Expect a possibility that you will receive an inquiry from the police or district attorney as to your criminal activity.
    3. You're already in Target's watch list (so you bet the other Targets in the area know you're a thief and a possibly a prohibited person).

What to do:

1. STOP STEALING.
    2. Stay out of TARGET, specifically the one you were caught in, and if you were issued a Tresspass notice that covers the entire chain: ALL TARGETS.
    3. If contacted by the police/district attorney, decline to speak to them without an attorney. If they arrest you and insist or you are charged, get an attorney.
    4. STOP STEALING.

The time to worry about it showing up on your record was before you broke the law. This wasn't a one-time thing by your own admission. You're just upset now that you were caught.

Many Michigan courts will allow you a diversion that allows you to avoid a conviction on your record if you serve some sort of probation. However, you'll need a judge to work this. Michigan courts are all over the place on this. Some judges permit it, some are extremely opposed to it. We can't advise you as a result.

We have no way of assessing the likelihood of criminal prosecution or the internal operations of the victim of your admitted crimes.

It continued to baffle me that shoplifters not only admit to their crimes on boards like these but also identify their victims.

1. Sponsored Links