Default Parking Ticket at a Ca. State Park

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California
    In March I went up to a relatively new State park here in California, for 2 reasons actually. I wanted to take my dog for a little hike and check out a Open House on a piece of property that was literally in State park boundaries. Because I too have a house with a few acres not far away that borders this same park.
    As I entered there was just very a few large dirt lots and a small sign in the middle saying authorized vehicles only beyond this point. (in the middle ) it was nothing but horse trailers and I assumed authorized referred to a special permit for horse trailers
    Besides there is a road that goes right through with 4 residential houses on it above past that point, which is where the open house was. I parked next to 2 other cars at the century 21 sign in another smaller dirt lot and went up the driveway to the house. Came back got my dog and went for a walk. It started to rain so I came back and found a parking ticket on my car wet saying I parked where there was posted no parking, which was untrue. I took photographs and went to some website called citationprocessingcenter to fight the ticket producing the photos and a brief description much like this. I never heard a thing back from them and recently checked the site where it now says nothing but I have a 170.00 dollar fine. and no recourse. Is this legal? No way to fight this, I have absolute proof there was an open house and no no parking signs. Truth be told you cant even tell theres a State park parking lot structure of any kind. Just a few dirt lots. Surely I have a right to a hearing even for a mere parking ticket.

Default Re: Parking Ticket at a Ca. State Park

I'm sure you do have the right to a hearing though I'm willing to bet it isn't going to happen over the internet and you may be well past the point where you could argue the ticket. March was 5 months ago after all.

There would have been information on the citation on how to contest or pay the citation. If you failed to act on that information, you may have lost your chance to contest the parking cite.

Check the citation and find out what you were supposed to do. MAYBE you can still ask for a hearing on the matter. If the only way to fight it was on the website you mention (which seems very, very odd, and possibly at odds with the law on the issue), then I don't know what to tell you. If you do not pay the fine, the state may place a lien on the vehicle so you will pay it when you renew the registration.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting necromancer
    View Post
    I came back and found a parking ticket on my car wet saying I parked where there was posted no parking, which was untrue.
    I disagree that it's untrue. You knew that it said "authorized vehicles only," and you knew that you didn't have authorization.

View Post
    Is this legal?
    No reason to think it isn't.

View Post
    No way to fight this
    I doubt that's true, but I have no knowledge of how this company, which helps "cities, counties, [etc.] collect payment on outstanding debt" runs its website since you can't get past the home page without information about a particular ticket.

When you called the (800) customer service number, what happened?

A single sign saying authorized vehicles only with no direction does not mean no parking anywhere. I'm a bit at fault here not being able to adequately describe the place and that the open house I was attending was beyond that little sign, where there was a realtor sign and an open house sign and a dirt lot where others were parked. there were no no parking signs anywhere

Sorry I didnt explain enough, I went to the website that deals with these tickets and it said I could contest the ticket with a written statement. I did as such with photographs where I parked showing the realtor and the open house sign and the dirt lot I parked in. there were no no parking signs. It stated a decision would be made and they would somehow contact me. Which never happened. When I checked back they apparently just dismissed my proof. and upped the fine to 175.00
    The photos I provided seem perfectly clear and Im sure they had a photo of where I parked from person who wrote the ticket. So there cant be any doubt the ticket was injustified

A single sign saying authorized vehicles only with no direction does not mean no parking anywhere.
    The sign said authorized vehicles only beyond this point (the sign being the "point") and then you drove beyond that point in your unauthorized vehicle. I think that a single sign telling you not to do exactly what you did is sufficient.

...where there was a realtor sign and an open house sign and a dirt lot where others were parked.
    Other people doing it will not hold up in court as a reason why you can do it also.

there were no no parking signs anywhere
    You already stated there was a sign saying no unauthorized vehicles were permitted. That means not permitted, period. Including if they are parked. You weren't authorized to be there to park, drive, or anything else.

View Post
    A single sign saying authorized vehicles only with no direction does not mean no parking anywhere. I'm a bit at fault here not being able to adequately describe the place and that the open house I was attending was beyond that little sign, where there was a realtor sign and an open house sign and a dirt lot where others were parked. there were no no parking signs anywhere

Sorry I didnt explain enough, I went to the website that deals with these tickets and it said I could contest the ticket with a written statement. I did as such with photographs where I parked showing the realtor and the open house sign and the dirt lot I parked in. there were no no parking signs. It stated a decision would be made and they would somehow contact me. Which never happened. When I checked back they apparently just dismissed my proof. and upped the fine to 175.00
    The photos I provided seem perfectly clear and Im sure they had a photo of where I parked from person who wrote the ticket. So there cant be any doubt the ticket was injustified
    op

what SPECIFIC section of the CA vehicle code was listed on the citation?

is it a parking violation or an authorized vehicle violation?

1. Sponsored Links