Default Occupancy Fee in Lieu of Higher Rent for Second Person, One Time or Monthly

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Texas

My parents just moved into a 55 and older apartment. Their lease has a monthly rent payment specified and in a section called "Other" on the lease, it specifies $150 dollar occupancy fee. It does not say this is a monthly fee it just specifies a $150 Occupancy fee. In the "Other" section it says, key replacement $15.00, garage door opener replacement $50 dollars. All fees specified in the "Other" section are one time fees. The leasing office is claiming that the occupancy fee is a monthly fee although it does not say that anywhere in the boilerplate lease. If they were to charge more for two people wouldn't that be reflected a higher rent payment? How does one interpret a $150.00 occupancy fee? Monthly or one time?

Default Re: Occupancy Fee in Lieu of Higher Rent for Second Person, One Time or Monthly

Quote Quoting Jean5720
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Texas

My parents just moved into a 55 and older apartment. Their lease has a monthly rent payment specified and in a section called "Other" on the lease, it specifies $150 dollar occupancy fee. It does not say this is a monthly fee it just specifies a $150 Occupancy fee. In the "Other" section it says, key replacement $15.00, garage door opener replacement $50 dollars. All fees specified in the "Other" section are one time fees. The leasing office is claiming that the occupancy fee is a monthly fee although it does not say that anywhere in the boilerplate lease. If they were to charge more for two people wouldn't that be reflected a higher rent payment? How does one interpret a $150.00 occupancy fee? Monthly or one time?
    Who is the complex attempting to claim that a monthly occupancy fee applies to?

Default Re: Occupancy Fee in Lieu of Higher Rent for Second Person, One Time or Monthly

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Who is the complex attempting to claim that a monthly occupancy fee applies to?
    The second person in the apartment. My Father is first on the lease, so Mom.

Quote Quoting Jean5720
    View Post
    The second person in the apartment. My Father is first on the lease, so Mom.
    Consult a local real estate attorney. That certainly sounds a bit bogus.

1. Sponsored Links