Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Am I at Risk if I Unknowingly Was Included on a Fraudulent W-2 Form for Rental Ap

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    The landlord might do that. But remember, the girlfriend gave a false employer and gave the OP's name and number as her son's supervisor at this fictitious company. So when the landlord calls the OP, the question is what will he tell the landlord? Will he actively lie and be a part of the fraud by playing the part of the supervisor? Or if not that, will he instead give answers that help conceal what she did, and thus possibly commit a crime by the concealment? Or will he tell the truth: that the company doesn't exist and that he's not the son's supervisor?

the world may never know

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZtbCOpx8Sk

maybe it’s that we live in very different worlds. I can imagine a parent doing something this stupid thinking since there is no injured party (as long as the kid doesn’t skip out on the lease) and it’s a harmless action it’s ok to do it. It doesn’t make it not s crime but it can allow her to justify it in her mind. Good people do stupid things sometimes thinking they are doing the right thing. Hell, our president lies on a very regular basis and a good percentage of the population seems to be ok with it. That kind of shows the mentality of the population in general.

and just to remind you: I have maintained my position that as long as the guy does not become involved in the issue and is dishonest about the w2, he is not committing a crime. Obviously once he crosses the line and acts to conceal the fraud, even it it’s only by silence when asked anything about it by the landlord, he would have crossed the line.

Beyond contacting the op, if the landlord does any sort of actual background check he should find some inconsistencies between what the report shows and the facts on the application.

Default Re: Am I at Risk if I Unknowingly Was Included on a Fraudulent W-2 Form for Rental Ap

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    maybe it’s that we live in very different worlds.
    We live in the same world; we just have differing views of it. I too can imagine a parent doing it and perhaps justifying it because she thinks no harm will come of it. But she certainly knows she's deceiving the landlord. She's just coming up with excuses in her head to justify the lie. If she thinks that kind of deception is ok, then IMO she has a broken moral compass. Perhaps you think otherwise.

And think about this. She's lying about the kid having a job that can support the rent. So that suggests right off the bat that the kid may fail to pay rent or skip out on the lease when he finds out it's too expensive for him. Because if he did have a job that would be enough to qualify for the apartment the deception would not have been needed. So the risk of harm is there for the landlord, unless Mom is going to pay it for the kid, in which case why didn't she just guarantee the lease for the kid?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    and just to remind you: I have maintained my position that as long as the guy does not become involved in the issue and is dishonest about the w2, he is not committing a crime. Obviously once he crosses the line and acts to conceal the fraud, even it it’s only by silence when asked anything about it by the landlord, he would have crossed the line.
    And I've not disagreed with any of that. I just stated my view that if I were in the OP's place, I'd likely dump the girlfriend because of that broken moral compass and if contacted by the landlord I'd let the landlord know the employment information he was given was bad.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post

And I've not disagreed with any of that. I just stated my view that if I were in the OP's place, I'd likely dump the girlfriend because of that broken moral compass and if contacted by the landlord I'd let the landlord know the employment information he was given was bad.
    It's easy to say that when it isn't your decision. Sometimes it depends on which head has more influence (big or little). And which side of the brain is stronger. Logic is usually out the window in an emotional decision.

Quote Quoting etrain80
    View Post
    She also filled out a rental application form with the same fake company listed under 'Current Employer', with my home address as the company's address.
    Unless incompetent or overly lenient, any apartment management screening a new application should always do a web search on an employer name, and coming up empty would be a HUGE red flag. I would say chances are that your girlfriend’s deception will not get past first base, and your best approach if they contact you would simply be to deny knowledge of any such business.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    It's easy to say that when it isn't your decision. Sometimes it depends on which head has more influence (big or little). And which side of the brain is stronger. Logic is usually out the window in an emotional decision.
    I realize that some guys — maybe a lot of guys — would overlook their girlfriend doing this sort of deception because love is blind. That then later may bite them when that girlfriend with the broken moral compass deceives them too. But I'm not one to overlook that sort of thing. I'm no longer young and have learned a few things along the way.

Haven't we all. I bet I'm older than you.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Haven't we all. I bet I'm older than you.
    Maybe so. With age often comes some wisdom. I certainly wish I knew at age 20 what I now now about people, relationships, and life in general. I haven't stopped learning, and hopefully will not stop learning new things even when I am quite old and enjoying my golden years.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3