Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Paternity Between Brothers

If two brothers are potential fathers for a child. One had blood test done that came back as 99.77% probability of paternity, should the other brother be tested?

Default Re: Paternity Between Brothers

Yes. Probably for multiple things.

Quote Quoting Renau
    View Post
    If two brothers are potential fathers for a child. One had blood test done that came back as 99.77% probability of paternity, should the other brother be tested?
    First of all, when you say that two brothers are potential fathers, I assume it means both of them had sex with the mother during the time period around the estimated date of conception. Correct?

As for your question, if the goal is to make the best possible determination as to which of these two men is the child's father, the answer is obviously yes (although "tested" is a completely inappropriate term in this context).

Correct, unfortunately for my friend his now ex girlfriend was also having sex with his brother. Was totally devastated. , he has had the other "tests" that one would need when you find out about infidelity. He had taken a paternity test that came back as 99.77% just wondering if that percentage is high enough for him to unmistakably be the dad. As for his brother he is refusing to partake in paternity testing..

Quote Quoting Renau
    View Post
    Correct, unfortunately for my friend his now ex girlfriend was also having sex with his brother. Was totally devastated. , he has had the other "tests" that one would need when you find out about infidelity. He had taken a paternity test that came back as 99.77% just wondering if that percentage is high enough for him to unmistakably be the dad. As for his brother he is refusing to partake in paternity testing..
    Are they identical twins? Or just ordinary brothers not twins at all? If its the former, they will both test as the father. If its the later there should be enough of a difference between them that its probably accurate that your friend is the father.

I wouldn't bet 18 years of child support on that last part without a test.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I wouldn't bet 18 years of child support on that last part without a test.
    The problem is that the first brother has tested at 99.77% and the other brother refuses to test. I don't know whether a judge would force the other brother to test when the first brother tested at 99.77%.

The state may make a difference. If I recall correctly, some states give a specific percentage of accuracy the result must exceed. Again, if I recall correctly it is greater than 99.77 in some states.

Regardless, since tests are not 100% anything and given the situation, I doubt it would be difficult to get a court to order the brother submit to a dna test.

And payrolguy, your first response won the best answer of the year award.

A properly done DNA paternity test has two numbers, one is a percentage, the other is what's called a "paternity index." THAT is the number the court's look too. It would be wise for the brother who tested to file a petition with the court for a determination of paternity. The court can order the other brother to test.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    First of all, when you say that two brothers are potential fathers, I assume it means both of them had sex with the mother during the time period around the estimated date of conception.
    I would wonder how else this may be possible?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast