Default Does Us Lawyer Has Right to Practice Law if a Rape Case is Opened Against Him Abroad

My question relates to legal practice in the state of: Massachusetts

Does US lawyer has right to practice Law if a rape case is opened against him abroad?

Just want to know if a professional lawyer practicing in Mass has moral and ethic right to practice if a criminal rape case is opened against him and order for his arrest issued in another country (Philippines).
    A licenced lawyer from US for years was coming to Philippines as "Sex Tourist" and had sex with probably hundreds of girls before this year, when a girl reported rape he committed. It happened January this year, he was 54, she is still 20, she is my ex-girlfriend. Now the rape case is passed from prosecutor to the court, warrant of arrest issued but the lawyer just came back to US and looks like he doesn't want to come to Philippines for the trial.
    One of the documents of the case is his fantastic correspondence with the girl in which he states a lot of postulates about his importance, role of a woman, etc. etc. I think Harvey Weinstein might be considered as a baby against this guy.*Just few quotes: “Suck hard, smile, be cool”; “If you're good I'll let you suck my cock when I have time”; “I am honestly the best thing that ever happened to you...”; “Tell him D...d has ****ed 50 times more skinny girls than him so he should just ****ing chill” (this is about me, even he never met me, doesn't know me and of course cannot know how many women I had), etc., etc., a lot of statements like this through the correspondence. Sorry for the bad language, I just quote the original. I gave this correspondence to an psychiatrist expert and he diagnosed obvious maniacal syndrome.
    So is there any regulations of lawyer ethic in this case or he still can work as a lawyer and protect and represent American people as the crime was committed outside US and status of run-away suspect in another country doesn't bother his career?

Default Re: Does Us Lawyer Has Right to Practice Law if a Rape Case is Opened Against Him Abr

Quote Quoting Michael Koman
    View Post
    My question relates to legal practice in the state of: Massachusetts

So is there any regulations of lawyer ethic in this case or he still can work as a lawyer and protect and represent American people as the crime was committed outside US and status of run-away suspect in another country doesn't bother his career?
    Same answer that you got on the other site where you asked this. The lawyer may continue to practice up until such time as the state suspends or disbars him. And the state will not do that based on an unproven allegation of a crime, especially when the allegation is made by a foreign country. If he was to get convicted of the crime then the state may act to suspend or disbar him. But so far he's not been convicted of the crime; the Philippines has simply filed the charges and issued the arrest warrant. If the Philippines seeks extradition of the lawyer to stand trial on the charges the U.S. might honor that request. But until he is convicted of the crime, the state isn't going to bar him from practicing law.

Note that in the U.S. that correspondence by itself is not criminal and doesn't mean a whole lot, other than the guy expressing his own belief in how fantastic he is. I have my doubts that a psychiatrist can make an accurate diagnosis on correspondence alone. It's important when making any medical diagnosis of a mental condition to actually examine the patient.

It's obvious you really want him to suffer some kind of consequence for what he did. You or your girlfriend can urge the Philippine government to ask the US to arrest the guy and extradite him on the charges against him. You can let the Massachusetts bar authorities know of the charges against the guy. Your girlfriend can sue the guy for compensation injuries she suffered from the alleged rape. Those are the options available. But until he's convicted, he's not likely to lose his license to practice law.

Default Re: Does Us Lawyer Has Right to Practice Law if a Rape Case is Opened Against Him Abr

Quote Quoting Michael Koman
    View Post
    Does US lawyer has right to practice Law if a rape case is opened against him abroad?
    A lawyer admitted to practice law in any U.S. state "has [the] right to practice [l]aw" in that state until the authority in that state that governs attorneys says otherwise. In Massachusetts, that authority is the Board of Bar Overseers. That a lawyer might have criminal charges pending against him/her in another country or another state or even the state in which he/she is licensed to practice, by itself, doesn't change anything in terms of the lawyer's right to practice.

It's also worth pointing out that the filing of charges does not mean a crime was committed. If you want to try and get the lawyer in questions right to practice suspended, you're free to file a complaint with the Board of Bar Overseers.

Thank you for your great comment.
    Of course I want him to be punished. Not only for seducing and raping my ex. May be I should even thank him for getting rid of a whore who betrayed me easily making an affair behind my back. If it happened in five years or ten it would be much worse. And punish him not only for abusing and insulting me in his correspondence not even knowing me. He called me STUPID FAT RUSSIAN DUDE, and a lot of other abusive nicknames (I am naturalized US Citizen with Russian origin, and actually not fat, 5' 8” and 180 Lb). My friend psychologist said it is quite typical for maniacal syndrome to be aggressive and abuse some others to make himself greater in somebody's eyes.

I just want to stop this guy and hundreds of other sex tourists who come to Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and other countries where most of families have a monthly income less that a day salary of a middle class American employee. Those “tourists” have no problem to find a stupid, naive, and extremely poor girl who is dreaming about another life. I might understand men who buy a prostitute for a night or week. But I cannot understand wealthy and healthy people who cheat poor and simple girls, promising them American haven and beautiful life some time later when they marry them, leaving behind them broken hearts, abandoned kids and ruined lives.

1. Sponsored Links