Default Loss of Personal Property

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Alabama.
    I placed my personal belongings in my sisters storage unit while I went to take care of our dad out of state. Under the assumption that she had been paying her storage bill, I thought it would be fine. When I returned home I was told by my niece that she had not been paying the bill. I call the storage facility to find out that she had not paid & her items we're sold, along with all of mine. When I brought this up to her she stated she never received a call or any type of notice. What can I do to get my things back? I am desperate, it has special items that can not be replaced. Please help me

Default Re: Loss of Personal Property

When I brought this up to her she stated she never received a call or any type of notice.
    Baloney. She knew whether she paid the bill or not. She knew the consequences of not paying because they were written into the storage agreement and probably displayed prominently at the storage facility.

What can I do to get my things back?
    Nothing. They are long gone.

Your option is to sue your sister. You'll only be entitled to the used value of the items.

If the items were sold there is simply no way you will get them back.

Did your sister know that you put the items in the storage unit?

Quote Quoting Jenlyn30
    View Post
    What can I do to get my things back?
    Well...how long ago and to whom were they sold?

Quote Quoting Jenlyn30
    View Post
    it has special items that can not be replaced.
    Not sure what to tell you. Obviously, your reliance on your sister was misplaced, but you should have had your name put on the storage unit contract so that you also would have been notified in the event of non-payment of the bill.

Was your sister aware you had placed items in her storage unit? Did she agree to provide storage for your items? Did you compensate her for the use of her storage unit?

whether she has any liability to you will be based on whatever, if any, agreement you had with your sister. She may be liable for the market value of the items or she may owe you nothing. The facts of the situation matter.

Don’t take page1067’s chastisement to heart. You had no authority to demand your name be added to your sisters contract. In fact there was no way to make that happen unless your sister and the storage facility would agree to the change. You could request such a change but nothing more.

As to getting the irreplaceable items back. You can attempt to obtain the name of the person who bought the contents of the storage unit. If successful you can try to find them and ask for or offer to purchase the items from them.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Don’t take page1067’s chastisement to heart. You had no authority to demand your name be added to your sisters contract. In fact there was no way to make that happen unless your sister and the storage facility would agree to the change. You could request such a change but nothing more.
    I think this should have gone without saying: the OP should have had his/her name put on the storage unit contract or, if either storage facility or the sister refused, then the OP should have made other arrangements for the storage of his/her property. By simply storing his/her stuff in the sister's storage until and "assuming" that the sister would pay the bill, the OP put his/her property in the hands of someone who ultimately proved to be unreliable and without any mechanism for stepping in either to pay the bill or retrieve the property in the event of non-payment by the sister. Obviously, whether the sister's default was foreseeable is something only the OP can know.

1. Sponsored Links