Default Constitutional Basis for Issuing a Criminal No-Contact Order

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: Iowa.

Are there any prohibitions against issuing a no-contact order for someone who has a concealed carry?

Default Re: Constitutional Basis for Issuing a Criminal No-Contact Order

Quote Quoting Cymulacra
    View Post
    My question involves restraining orders in the State of: Iowa.

Are there any prohibitions against issuing a no-contact order for someone who has a concealed carry?
    No.

It occurs to me that there is no requirement to show cause for a no-contact order; anybody can file one.
    So it's legal to kill someone if you can find them? It seems redundant and wasteful of resources, or just malicious.

Quote Quoting Cymulacra
    View Post
    Are you asking about issuing the order at the request of the concealed carrier and against someone else? Or issuing the order against the concealed carrier at the request of someone else?

Either way, the answer is no, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you think the answer might be otherwise, so I'm wondering if there's more to your question than appears from your post.

Quote Quoting Cymulacra
    View Post
    It occurs to me that there is no requirement to show cause for a no-contact order
    Of course there is. What would make you think this?

Quote Quoting Cymulacra
    View Post
    anybody can file one.
    No. Anyone can request one, but only a court can issue one. While the showing required for a preliminary order is often minimal, some showing of cause is required.

Quote Quoting Cymulacra
    View Post
    So it's legal to kill someone if you can find them?
    Ummm....no. What does this question even mean?

Thanks for the turnaround. The concealed carry statute says any protection from a gun carrier cancels the license, so the 1st case was intended. It seems like a state that already has a no-retreat gun carry clause would have see no need in entertaining the additional paperwork and court time.

Quote Quoting Cymulacra
    View Post
    Thanks for the turnaround. The concealed carry statute says any protection from a gun carrier cancels the license, so the 1st case was intended. It seems like a state that already has a no-retreat gun carry clause would have see no need in entertaining the additional paperwork and court time.
    I'm not following. As far as I can tell, the word "protect" (or some variation thereof) appears five times in Iowa's concealed carry laws. In every case, the law is speaking of a person who is the subject of a protective order (i.e., the person against whom a protective order has been entered).

Please clarify which section(s) of the law you're talking about. Please also clarify what the last sentence of your follow up post means.

1. Sponsored Links