Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How Long Do I Need to Keep an Ex-Employee's Personal Property

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: New York

An old employee left behind quite a bit of personal property including office equipment. From what I understand this employee has been gone for almost two years. People have tried to contact her to get her to retrieve her items and I believe an offer was made to ship the items to her. She simply says to talk to her lawyer about this. As far as I know, no records of trying to contact her regarding her items have been kept. How long are we obligated to keep these items? Am I allowed to give her a deadline to retrieve her things? I am unsure of the law in NYC and NY State.

Any advice is welcome!

Default Re: How Long Do I Need to Keep an Ex-Employee's Personal Property

Has anybody spoken to her lawyer as she suggested? The fact she has a lawyer and is directing you to speak to her lawyer suggests an atypical situation. Is there some legal issue involving this former employee and the Company?

Quote Quoting helphr
    View Post
    My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: New York

An old employee left behind quite a bit of personal property including office equipment. From what I understand this employee has been gone for almost two years. People have tried to contact her to get her to retrieve her items and I believe an offer was made to ship the items to her. She simply says to talk to her lawyer about this. As far as I know, no records of trying to contact her regarding her items have been kept. How long are we obligated to keep these items? Am I allowed to give her a deadline to retrieve her things? I am unsure of the law in NYC and NY State.

Any advice is welcome!
    What kind of office equipment are we talking about?

Thank you for responding. As far as I know they have not spoken to this lawyer and I am not sure she ever provided the name or number. The separation wasn't amicable, from what I understand, but I don't think there are any legal issues. They did offer to drop it off or ship it to her and I am under the impression that this is when she began mentioning a lawyer. The last contact with her was about 3 weeks ago.

Thank you for responding. Printers and monitors, a keyboard and something that looks like a speaker. There are also decorative holiday items and other random things.

Quote Quoting helphr
    View Post
    She simply says to talk to her lawyer about this.
    I think someone ought to do this.

Quote Quoting helphr
    View Post
    Am I allowed to give her a deadline to retrieve her things?
    Yes.

I suggest you or your company's in-house lawyer (if it has one) review New York's Abandoned Property Law and comply with its terms.

Quote Quoting helphr
    View Post
    Thank you for responding. As far as I know they have not spoken to this lawyer and I am not sure she ever provided the name or number. The separation wasn't amicable, from what I understand, but I don't think there are any legal issues. They did offer to drop it off or ship it to her and I am under the impression that this is when she began mentioning a lawyer. The last contact with her was about 3 weeks ago.

Thank you for responding. Printers and monitors, a keyboard and something that looks like a speaker. There are also decorative holiday items and other random things.
    She is either a nut case or has a valid cause of action that she is working with an attorney to file.

So what is the back story? You seem to be a bit distanced from the circumstances of her leaving the employ. Who are you and why did she leave the company?

There is also a possible escheat situation.

I don't think the escheat laws in any state address personal property left at an employer's place of business if indeed we are talking about personal property.

Quote Quoting helphr
    View Post
    Printers and monitors, a keyboard and something that looks like a speaker. There are also decorative holiday items and other random things.
    1 - Why would an employee have such property at her employer's office? (There's a back story here that you don't know or aren't telling.)

2 - Why the hell wasn't this stuff just shipped to her two years ago as soon as an issue arose? Nobody needed her consent to ship it.

You can ship the stuff to her now.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast