Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Innocent, Caught in Crossfire

My question involves defamation in the state of: California

My GF and her ex best friend have been at each others throats since she quit and opened up a harrassment lawsuit against the company they both worked for. Both acting like teenagers back and forth which I opted to have no part of, until just recently. My GFs old friend has opened up a restraining order process against my GF, but named me in their written statement. Her and her boyfriend are stating that I have called them and left threatening voicmails promising violence and death threats and that I have been arrested on multiple accounts for drug related crimes. I have not taken a drugs besides alcohol in over 20 years and have certainly never called and made any threats. I consider their accusations against me be a defamation tort (libel) and if they stick to it at the hearing slanderous as well as perjury. I can easily disprove their statements with phone records and criminal background check. What should I do?

Default Re: Innocent, Caught in Crossfire

Ignore them. Nothing good will come from trying to meddle in this.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Ignore them. Nothing good will come from trying to meddle in this.
    I disagree. They have named him in the restraining order petition. He does need to defend himself.

ARichRN, get yourself an attorney.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I disagree. They have named him in the restraining order petition. He does need to defend himself.

It depends what he meant by "named". If they just mentioned him in the supporting information, there's nothing to "defend." If the RO is directed against him, then yes he needs to take action. I assumed the former.

Op needs to understand the plaintiff is protected by privilege when filing a suit and testifying in court. That defeats a claim of defamation. Op needs to defend himself if he is named as a defendant in the suit or otherwise called to testify. Otherwise there isn’t anything for him to do.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post

harrassment lawsuit against the company they both worked for. Both acting like teenagers back and forth which I opted to have no part of, until just recently. My GFs old friend has opened up a restraining order process against my GF, but named me in their written statement. Her and her boyfriend are stating that I have called them and left threatening voicmails promising violence and death threats and that I have been arrested on multiple accounts for drug related crimes. I have not taken a drugs besides alcohol in over 20 years and have certainly never called and made any threats.

Quote Quoting nailiyatsi
    View Post
    harrassment lawsuit against the company they both worked for. Both acting like teenagers back and forth which I opted to have no part of, until just recently. My GFs old friend has opened up a restraining order process against my GF, but named me in their written statement. Her and her boyfriend are stating that I have called them and left threatening voicmails promising violence and death threats and that I have been arrested on multiple accounts for drug related crimes. I have not taken a drugs besides alcohol in over 20 years and have certainly never called and made any threats.
    Again, You want to get an attorney on board for you to defend against the allegations.

nailiyatsi is not the OP

Quote Quoting nailiyatsi
    View Post
    harrassment lawsuit against the company they audacity temp mail origin both worked for. Both acting like teenagers back and forth which I opted to have no part of, until just recently. My GFs old friend has opened up a restraining order process against my GF, but named me in their written statement. Her and her boyfriend are stating that I have called them and left threatening voicmails promising violence and death threats and that I have been arrested on multiple accounts for drug related crimes. I have not taken a drugs besides alcohol in over 20 years and have certainly never called and made any threats.

Quote Quoting nailiyatsi
    View Post
    Would you please quit changing the attributions on quotes.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast