Hybrid View

Default Emancipated Minor Moving Countries

I am sixteen years old and I am a citizen of Canada and America, I was born in America but now live in Canada. About a year ago I decided I was going to move back home so I started working and I have 12k saved and in Canada then applied for emancipation so I have all the saw legal privileges as an adult in Canada, when I move to America will my emancipation and the privileges that come with it still be valid, if not how would I go about becoming emancipated in America?

Default Re: Emancipated Minor Moving Countries

Quote Quoting Derekadams03
    View Post
    I am sixteen years old and I am a citizen of Canada and America, I was born in America but now live in Canada. About a year ago I decided I was going to move back home so I started working and I have 12k saved and in Canada then applied for emancipation so I have all the saw legal privileges as an adult in Canada, when I move to America will my emancipation and the privileges that come with it still be valid, if not how would I go about becoming emancipated in America?
    I do not believe that the US would recognize an emancipation from another country. It also may not be as easy as you think to get emancipated. In the US, emancipation is normally reserved for those minors who are already on their own due to the deaths or incarceration of their parents and need the legal ability to sign contracts, leases and otherwise function as adults.

Not all US states will emancipate a minor. Where are you planning to move to?

View Post
    A Canadian determination of emancipation would not be recognized in the U.S. In the U.S. each state has different rules for emancipation, but essentially it is a process that confirms that the minor is already independent from his/her parents and financially self-sufficient. The purpose of emancipation is to relieve the minor of certain disabilities under the law, like the inability to enter into binding contracts, that an independent self-sufficient person needs. The purpose is not to get the minor out from under the control of his/her parents. Emancipation occurs only after the minor is already no longer under his/her parents control and living independently from them. What you'd need to do and whether emancipation is possible would depend very much on the particular state in which you'd live, but in pretty much all of them you have to start with being on your own.

View Post
    About a year ago I decided I was going to move back home so I started working and I have 12k saved and in Canada then applied for emancipation so I have all the saw legal privileges as an adult in Canada,
    Two things.

1 - You "applied" for emancipation. Have you been granted it by a Canadian court?

2 - You saved $12,000 in one year. That's incredible. Congratulations.

Now I'm going to give you the best advice you'll ever get in your life. Stay in Canada for another two years. Save another $12,000 per year. Then come to the US as an 18 year old ADULT with $36,000. You'll be off to a flying start that most 18 year olds in the US will never have.

$12,000 US dollars or $12,000 Canadian dollars?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    $12,000 US dollars or $12,000 Canadian dollars?
    Either way, its pretty impressive for a teen.

At 16 you likely have not graduated from high school. Opportunities for someone in the US without a high school diploma are limited. Living in the US is not cheap; someone earning minimum wage working full time can barely afford to eat much less pay for an apartment, transportation, and health insurance.

Finish school - college even better than high school, and then come. You will improve your chances for a successful life 1000s of times.

1. Sponsored Links