Default Filing Order

My wife overstayed her visa prior to marriage. We already spoke with an attorney and all is ok were getting ready to file paperwork.
    I need to file a Petition For an Alien Relative $525 and File for a change of status $1200ish.
    My question is can I file the petition prior to the Status Change? Attorney was gonna do both the same time. But money is tight and I want to get the ball rolling with what I have.

Petition Alien Relative for $500 then save up for the status change and file that in a month or so. Can I do that? Or does it need to be filed together?

Default Re: Filing Order

Quote Quoting IamWill80
    View Post
    My wife overstayed her visa prior to marriage. We already spoke with an attorney and all is ok were getting ready to file paperwork.
    I need to file a Petition For an Alien Relative $525 and File for a change of status $1200ish.
    My question is can I file the petition prior to the Status Change? Attorney was gonna do both the same time. But money is tight and I want to get the ball rolling with what I have.

Petition Alien Relative for $500 then save up for the status change and file that in a month or so. Can I do that? Or does it need to be filed together?
    this is a question that you really need to ask of your attorney. I am guessing that the answer will be no, but your attorney is better placed to answer that question.

Default Re: Filing Order

Most people file without an attorney. Are you going through a legal clinic for the low income because the cost of the filing is relatively insignificant compared to the other costs involved? There are other forums with knowledgeable and responsible participants who can answer your questions better than this one which has more general focus. Check out visajourney.

1. Sponsored Links