Default Tree on Property Line

My question involves personal property located in the State of Pennsylvania

The previous owner of my house owned the house next door also. He originally planted a tree on the property line of both houses he owned. I bought his house and later the other sold to another party. Can I cut tje tree down without permission from my neighbor?

Default Re: Tree on Property Line

Quote Quoting Sepi24
    View Post
    My question involves personal property located in the State of Pennsylvania

The previous owner of my house owned the house next door also. He originally planted a tree on the property line of both houses he owned. I bought his house and later the other sold to another party. Can I cut tje tree down without permission from my neighbor?
    No. A tree on the actual property line belongs to both properties and they both have to agree to any changes. Now, one property owner has the right to cut back branches as long as doing so does not damage or kill the tree, but otherwise the two of you need to agree.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    No. A tree on the actual property line belongs to both properties and they both have to agree to any changes. Now, one property owner has the right to cut back branches as long as doing so does not damage or kill the tree, but otherwise the two of you need to agree.
    There are powerlines that go from a side street to my house. My neighbors dont take care of the tree. I fear that the lines will snap someday. If they refuse to trim, what are my options?

Dont want to get into a dispute with them, just need tree trimmed.

Have you spoken with them about your concern and remedy? Seems like a logical place to start.

Quote Quoting Sepi24
    View Post
    There are powerlines that go from a side street to my house. My neighbors dont take care of the tree. I fear that the lines will snap someday. If they refuse to trim, what are my options?

Dont want to get into a dispute with them, just need tree trimmed.
    You could always ask the power company to come take a look. If the tree is threatening the lines they may trim it or take it down. Their contractors cut back and/or removed a lot of trees in my neighborhood last year, much to the consternation of some homeowners.

1. Sponsored Links