Default Nevada Unemployment Line Always Busy

I currently lost my job on June 25 2019 and I applied for Unemployment benefits in Nevada on June 26, 2019. I moved from Texas back in Aug of 2018. I was working with a company here in Reno NV since Oct 2018 and was let go on June 25, 2019.

When I applied for Nevada unemployment I was asked if I lived in another state in 2018 and I answered it with yes and put in Texas and the company I worked for then. Once I finished applying for benefits it gave me my confirmation number but then it told me in RED letters to contact the Telephone Clams Center to Submit your Claim.

I have been calling almost everyday for the past month and I have not been able to get through, I have called South in Reno and North in Vegas including their 800 number and I cant get through. It always says all representatives are busy and to try my call again later, then it hangs up on me. I even drove down to Carson City to their office and it turns out, that they don't allow walk ins, so they would not even see me. The receptionist said I have to keep calling the phone lines. This is very frustrating and I am so mad, I have been very patient and I still cannot get through. I am currently applying for jobs and I have an interview this coming Friday 8/2/19. But as of now I have a family and for the past 4 weeks I have no income coming in, and I am sure I qualify for unemployment, but I just cant get through. PLEASE HELP ANYONE.....

Default Re: Nevada Unemployment Line Always Busy

I understand that you are frustrated, and I understand why, and I do not blame you in least. However, I am confused as to what help you think a message board can be in this situation.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I understand that you are frustrated, and I understand why, and I do not blame you in least. However, I am confused as to what help you think a message board can be in this situation.
    I can give you some advice about how to go about calling, but "tried most every day" is not the same as really trying. When phone line filing was first made the norm, they said you should think of it as standing in line, only in your home on your telephone. First of all, START EVERY MORNING VERY EARLY. Some call centers open before the hours posted by an hour or so. Second, if it will allow you to hold the line, hold the line as long as you can. Up to an hour or two isn't uncommon in a lot of circumstances. If it bumps you off the line, keep calling. Keep calling repeatedly for at least an hour a day until you get in. Early morning hours. Do not try only on a certain day, try every day, usually Fridays tend to be slower than Mondays. But every day the lines are full before say, ten in the morning. Avoid calling at lunch hour time (between 11 and 1) Try every morning of every day, a great number of times, not just once or twice. Keep records of when and how many times you have called every day from now on.

Do not expect to be back paid. When you do get through to them, the Nevada claims office will probably not be willing to call what you have done a good faith effort to get through. It would be good if you have proof and documentation of the many many daily calls you have made. It would be nice if they would see this as a real serious effort to get through and the failure as their fault, but frankly, when you do get through, you can ask, but they won't likely see it this way.

There is a help line, there are lines you can call. In fact, you may want to call your state legislators office and complain. Ask them to have somebody call you. It is, after all, a state agency. But over a month's delay in getting a call in to file your claim is untenable not so much on their part as it's questionable whether you were trying hard enough. When the great recession was on, and thousands and thousands of calls were coming in every day, they were willing to believe people had made diligent efforts, and had not been able to get through. But at the present time, unemployment rates are very low. There should be a way you can get to talk to somebody. Search the websites, talk to the Carson City office and ask them to have unemployment technical support or help line return your call.

Quote Quoting arc209
    View Post
    I currently lost my job on June 25 2019 and I applied for Unemployment benefits in Nevada on June 26, 2019. I moved from Texas back in Aug of 2018. I was working with a company here in Reno NV since Oct 2018 and was let go on June 25, 2019.
    Did you do base period calculations?

You probably would have been better off filing against TX. A claim filed in late June, would have used wages Jan 1 2018, to Dec 31, 2018. Based on your story, you had 2-1/2 quarters of TX wages, and if the numbers work, then you can preserve your NV wages in the event you lose your job again. The whole point of this is to use the least amount of wages and quarters to get the best UI deal you can get. You don't necessarily want a combined-wage claim because they quite often use a whole lot of wages and you're lucky if you get pennies extra unless you do the math.

File by phone with the TWC and ask for backdating to June 26. Just tell them you filed in the wrong state first. TWC does answer their phones even though they have other issues.

I was not aware that one could ask for backdating to a previous quarter in another state simply because one wanted to. Interesting

Quote Quoting comment/ator
    View Post
    I was not aware that one could ask for backdating to a previous quarter in another state simply because one wanted to. Interesting
    If you're going to restate things, do it correctly. If you apply in the wrong state first, you can use the original date of application in the wrong state as the basis for backdating in the correct state so everything is exactly like it should have been had you done it correctly the first time.

1. Sponsored Links