Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Full Time 4 Wheel Drive

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: michigan
    I signed a leasing agreement for a jeep cherokee. After driving a week realized it had terrible gas mileage.Found out it was full time 4 wheel drive and was not possible to make payments with this gas mileage and my budget, there was no manual with the jeep and the sales person never mentioned it was full time 4wd. I asked to trade for another vehicle and they said absolutely not. Also the first month I had to take it back for repairs and it took them 2 weeks or better for $1,190 of repairs. I missed work without a vehicle and couldn't afford the payment. they disabled the vehicle and reposesed it.I only put about 500 miles on it and it was actually in better shape when they got it back due to repairs and detailing. Now the financing company is suing me for $6,000 plus lawyer fees and any other cost they can think of. Their realized value was over $5,000 less than the sale price 3 months and only 500 miles earlier. What can I do?

Default Re: Full Time 4 Wheel Drive

Pay the amount you are being sued for or get a judgment against you.

Bankruptcy also may be an option.

yes,thank you,we are entering a judgment.what i guess i am asking is what would be my best way to proceed. Is there such a argument as misrepresentation? Or should I try impracticability?

I'm going to assume that the leasing agreement was with a third party, not the dealer that sold you the car.

If that is the case by not paying you were screwing over the wrong party in the first place because they had nothing to do with representing the car.

I'm willing to bet that nobody ever told you it was not full-time 4x4. You assumed that. And it was a bad assumption because all you had to do to know it wasn't was look for the switch.

Or google the VIN on the internet and you would have learned all there is to know about the car.

Quote Quoting robo
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: michigan
    I signed a leasing agreement for a jeep cherokee. After driving a week realized it had terrible gas mileage.Found out it was full time 4 wheel drive and was not possible to make payments with this gas mileage and my budget, there was no manual with the jeep and the sales person never mentioned it was full time 4wd. I asked to trade for another vehicle and they said absolutely not. Also the first month I had to take it back for repairs and it took them 2 weeks or better for $1,190 of repairs. I missed work without a vehicle and couldn't afford the payment. they disabled the vehicle and reposesed it.I only put about 500 miles on it and it was actually in better shape when they got it back due to repairs and detailing. Now the financing company is suing me for $6,000 plus lawyer fees and any other cost they can think of. Their realized value was over $5,000 less than the sale price 3 months and only 500 miles earlier. What can I do?
    I don't want to sound rude, but I would start off by 1. Getting a better paying job, or 2. Getting a part-time job in addition to my full time job because there is nothing you can do about your buyers remorse.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

thank you for that, that is very informative, you really know your shit don't you. first of all I am a single woman that never had a fwd in my life, I looked for a switch and didn't have a manual furnished with the jeep. It was summer time so it wasn't important.I guess i stupidly assumed it was in TWD until switched like no one else would.Like I said they got the vehicle back in better shape than when I got it, I put no more than 500 miles on it and so its only right that I give someone probably $10,000 when its said and done for their services. As it was I gave them 0ver a thousand, so I guess they are really getting screwed over. Look, I am raising a 8 year old grand daughter, work part time, got in this mess and just want some advice not criticism. I know I made a mistake nothing I can do about that, but peoples ethics in business now days is almost nonexistent, It's grab as much as you can any way you can and screw your fellow man and no wonder this country is going to hell,especially socially.

Now there is some advise I can use, thank you too. But If I could afford a good corporate lawyer he would probably not only get me out of this mess but even turn the table, for instance a car dealer taking advantage of a naive woman. Did anyone notice that I had to take the jeep back for repairs the first week I had it? The oil wasn't even changed. Didn't they even test drive it? 90 degrees and the air conditioner didn't even work. Check engine light on before and after their repairs. If I would have waited 30 days before I took it in I would have had to pay a large part of the repair bill. My biggest mistake was trusting that I was being taken good care of by a supposable reputable business.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting robo
    View Post
    thank you for that, that is very informative, you really know your shit don't you. first of all I am a single woman that never had a fwd in my life, I looked for a switch and didn't have a manual furnished with the jeep. It was summer time so it wasn't important.I guess i stupidly assumed it was in TWD until switched like no one else would.Like I said they got the vehicle back in better shape than when I got it, I put no more than 500 miles on it and so its only right that I give someone probably $10,000 when its said and done for their services. As it was I gave them 0ver a thousand, so I guess they are really getting screwed over. Look, I am raising a 8 year old grand daughter, work part time, got in this mess and just want some advice not criticism. I know I made a mistake nothing I can do about that, but peoples ethics in business now days is almost nonexistent, It's grab as much as you can any way you can and screw your fellow man and no wonder this country is going to hell,especially socially.
    You leased this car and are responsible for it for the duration of the contract. Just because you didn't know that it was full time 4WD doesn't mean it's the dealers fault, you, as the buyer, have the responsibility to know what it is that you're leasing and the dealer is only required to disclose certain things.

It doesn't matter that you put money into the vehicle. That was your responsibility as the lessor. You are also responsible for the entire cost of the lease, when it's said and done. It's possible that the dealer or financing agency will release you but I certainly wouldn't count on it. They are a business and have obligations to the business and investors.

This not about business ethics. Ethically, the business owes you nothing except the car. You owe the business a monthly payment for use of the car and the care and maintenance of the car. That's the contract in a nutshell. There is likely no obligation for the lessee to release you because you don't like what you leased.

As to why the country is going to hell: given that you are trying to bail on your obligations I'd say that you are the problem. You are the one who doesn't want to fulfill their obligations and you're blaming others for your lack of due diligence.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Now there is some advise I can use, thank you too. But If I could afford a good corporate lawyer he would probably not only get me out of this mess but even turn the table, for instance a car dealer taking advantage of a naive woman. Did anyone notice that I had to take the jeep back for repairs the first week I had it? The oil wasn't even changed. Didn't they even test drive it? 90 degrees and the air conditioner didn't even work. Check engine light on before and after their repairs. If I would have waited 30 days before I took it in I would have had to pay a large part of the repair bill. My biggest mistake was trusting that I was being taken good care of by a supposable reputable business.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting robo
    View Post
    Sure, you could retain an attorney but leases are pretty boilerplate. YOU leased the car without any sort of inspection. Knowing that you were a, as you put it, naive woman, you put your own head on the chopping block. Now you're saying that you're incompetent when it comes to making your own decisions.

I feel for you. I do. My daughter went through this with her first car and it was a pain and a bit costly but she didn't do her part and disregarded my advice to have it inspected by a 3rd party before buying or have it written into the sales contract.

Caveat emptor. You, as the buyer/lessor, have to protect yourself and you didn't. now you are stuck with the consequences.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast