Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Divorce

My question involves a marriage in the state of: NY.

Situation...married 14 years with 2 kids. I have been unfaithful and want to leave the marriage for my current girlfriend. I make substantially more than my wife. Currently i earn about 85K a year and she brings home 4500 a year. I am going to get hammered by child support but also likely alimony from what i read. I am seriously wondering how it will even be possible to live bringing home such a small amount after taxes which the courts conveniently leave out of the calculations as if that money miraculously appears in my pocket instead of going to the government. In addition we own a house valued at about 160K and still owe 90K on it. Retirement funds are about 70K.

How badly will i get screwed as the non custodial parent and how much will i be looking at paying with alimomy and child support each month?

The system is broken when the average cost to raise a child is 10K a year and I'm paying double that and in addition paying alimony. The system should be focused on supporting a child not providing a source of income for the other person and basically allowing them to do nothing and get a bigger share of the income than the person working. Its why i will never marry again and why i always tell young people never to marry...the system is so broken why would you want to screw yourself for life?

Default Re: Divorce

When your girlfriend figures out how much of your money is going to your ex wife, with nothing left for her, you won't have a girlfriend anymore.

Here's a NY child support calculator.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hra/help/c...alculator.page

With $85000 gross income, you'll pay $19125 in child support. In NY that can go until the children are age 21.

As for alimony, if your wife's income of $4500 per year wasn't a typo, you're going to get nailed for that and deservedly so.

My prediction: She'll get the house, you'll pay the mortgage payments, you'll pay alimony and child support, probably have to buy health insurance for the children, maybe for their mother, too. She'll get the good car, you'll make the payments, you'll drive a beater.

When all is said and done, you might have enough money to live in a one room efficiency apartment.

There's nothing wrong with the "system." You'll be getting what's coming to you.

He doesn't make much money
    Only five thousand per
    Some judge who thinks he's funny
    Says, "You'll pay six to her"
    He says, "Now, Judge, suppose I fail?"
    The judge says, "Son, step right on into the jail"
    You'd better keep her; I think it's cheaper
    Than makin' whoopee

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    When your girlfriend figures out how much of your money is going to your ex wife, with nothing left for her, you won't have a girlfriend anymore.

Here's a NY child support calculator.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hra/help/c...alculator.page

With $85000 gross income, you'll pay $19125 in child support. In NY that can go until the children are age 21.

As for alimony, if your wife's income of $4500 per year wasn't a typo, you're going to get nailed for that and deservedly so.

My prediction: She'll get the house, you'll pay the mortgage payments, you'll pay alimony and child support, probably have to buy health insurance for the children, maybe for their mother, too. She'll get the good car, you'll make the payments, you'll drive a beater.

When all is said and done, you might have enough money to live in a one room efficiency apartment.

There's nothing wrong with the "system." You'll be getting what's coming to you.
    There is plenty wrong with the system which is why fewer and fewer men are getting married these days. No reason to. Not when they see generations of men being raped by the system that thinks its still 1950 and all women can do is be stay at home Moms and need to be supported by their husbands.

So in your example a person who doesnt work and stays at home other than substitute teaching gets the equivalent of 75% of the income for doing what exactly? She has the ability to work and there is no reason she can't.

Why would she get the house and car while im making payments on them? Whats alimony going towards, her hair and nails getting done? I mean if she wants the house and car she can pay it from that.

Quote Quoting matter2003
    View Post
    There is plenty wrong with the system which is why fewer and fewer men are getting married these days. No reason to. Not when they see generations of men being raped by the system that thinks its still 1950 and all women can do is be stay at home Moms and need to be supported by their husbands.

So in your example a person who doesnt work and stays at home other than substitute teaching gets the equivalent of 75% of the income for doing what exactly? She has the ability to work and there is no reason she can't.

Why would she get the house and car while im making payments on them? Whats alimony going towards, her hair and nails getting done? I mean if she wants the house and car she can pay it from that.
    You're right. Make sure the Judge knows your feelings/opinion on the matter.

Quote Quoting matter2003
    View Post
    There is plenty wrong with the system
    Well, I can see that there is no arguing with you.

Please come back after your divorce and report on how well you made out.

Quote Quoting matter2003
    View Post
    There is plenty wrong with the system which is why fewer and fewer men are getting married these days. No reason to. Not when they see generations of men being raped by the system....
    Please watch how you phrase things. This is not RAPE. Until you are a victim of a vicious sexual assault, neither you nor "generations of men" have been RAPED.

That said, you made the decisions to marry this lady, bear children with her, buy a home with her, and to be the primary breadwinner. The court might look at what she could make and take it into account. That said, you are the one that bears the responsibility for setting up this specific set of facts, but now you want to be with the girlfriend, so it is all the court and your wife's fault? Dude, put it back in your pants! And realize that yes, you are responsible and will get taken to the cleaners, deservedly!

It's funny how pendulums work. For years, centuries even, men "owned" their wives and children (look up "chattel", son). When hubs wandered, wifey was expected to put up with it. And if hubs decided to divorce? He took the kids and left wifey to destitution. Now? Hubs wants to play? He should expect to pay. Horrors.

OP - you had no problem with your wife staying home and raising your children while you nailed your secretary. You want out? Expect to pay for the pleasure. I'd also expect your g/f to hightail it away from you.

BTW - NY, I believe, still allows orders for college expenses. I suggest you find a very good lawyer.

OP has not indicated that his wife is aware of the affair.

If OP is smart he will ditch the girlfriend, keep his mouth shut, never stray again, get some counseling to help strengthen his relationship with his wife, and concentrate on being the best husband and dad he can be.

Quote Quoting hr for me
    View Post
    Please watch how you phrase things. This is not RAPE. Until you are a victim of a vicious sexual assault, neither you nor "generations of men" have been RAPED.

That said, you made the decisions to marry this lady, bear children with her, buy a home with her, and to be the primary breadwinner. The court might look at what she could make and take it into account. That said, you are the one that bears the responsibility for setting up this specific set of facts, but now you want to be with the girlfriend, so it is all the court and your wife's fault? Dude, put it back in your pants! And realize that yes, you are responsible and will get taken to the cleaners, deservedly!
    actually if you read the definitions of rape, you will see the use by the op is wholly proper

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rape

it does not necessarily refer to a sexual issue.

an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation:the rape of the countryside.

Its either that or your definition brings a whole new meaning to rapeseed.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast