Default Getting Stonewalled by the City Re: Short-Changed Registration Period

My question involves a professional license in the state of: CA
    Here in Los Angeles, like a lot of cities, they recently passed some Airbnb regulations. You have to pay $89 to register your airbnb unit starting July 1, but the city's stated deadline is Oct 1. So in other words, I am not required to register until Oct 31.
    I just assumed that if I registered early, it was like paying my taxes or something (which if I pay on Jan 1, my taxes are still not due until April 15th the next year). As it turns out, the city starts the clock either from the moment I registered or from the moment my registration is processed and approved (I've gotten conflicting answers from them). They tricked me.
    This to me lacks consideration. If I am not required to pay for the 4 month period leading up to Oct 31, 2019, why are they billing me for that period? I'm being short changed of a period of up to 4 months. It's like an optional fee period. No city should have what is essentially an optional fee period.
    I've argued with the city and been stonewalled. They just regurgitate the same responses along the lines of "This is how it is. We can't make adjustments for one individual."
    My last request was to ask for them to have their city attorney explain to me how this is not unjust. Do cities have attorneys who review matters like this?
    What would you folks suggest? Eventually can this be brought to small claims? I'm guessing that the cost to file would be more than the $89, so am I just screwed? BTW this will probably cost me $89 because my season runs from about May 1 to Oct 31. Is this something a law firm might do a class action over, on behalf of lots of hosts?

Default Re: Getting Stonewalled by the City Re: Short-Changed Registration Period

Quote Quoting Andy_Rooney
    View Post
    but the city's stated deadline is Oct 1. So in other words, I am not required to register until Oct 31.
    No. You were required to register as of July 1. The November 1 date (not October 1) is the date when enforcement will begin.

View Post
    As it turns out, the city starts the clock either from the moment I registered or from the moment my registration is processed and approved (I've gotten conflicting answers from them). They tricked me.
    Conflicting answers to what question(s)? Who are "them" and "they"? What is the difference between "the moment I registered" and "the moment my registration is processed and approved"?

View Post
    This to me lacks consideration. If I am not required to pay for the 4 month period leading up to Oct 31, 2019, why are they billing me for that period?
    I don't really understand the question or your statement that something "lacks consideration." You're aware that enforcement not beginning until Nov. 1 doesn't change that fact that the ordinance took effect on July 1, right?

View Post
    Do cities have attorneys who review matters like this? What would you folks suggest? Eventually can this be brought to small claims? I'm guessing that the cost to file would be more than the $89, so am I just screwed?
    Yes, the City of Los Angeles has a City Attorney (a whole office of attorneys, in fact), but there's nothing to review, and no, you're not getting screwed. You chose to comply with the law. That you apparently now regret complying with the law and not taking advantage of the grace period doesn't create any sort of legal issue.

Default Re: Getting Stonewalled by the City Re: Short-Changed Registration Period

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    No. You were required to register as of July 1. The November 1 date (not October 1) is the date when enforcement will begin.
    The city states that the start of enforcement is on November 1, 2019. Individuals who continue to engage in or advertise short-term rental activity on or after November 1, 2019 without an approved registration number will be in violation of the Home-Sharing Ordinance.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Conflicting answers to what question(s)? Who are "them" and "they"? What is the difference between "the moment I registered" and "the moment my registration is processed and approved"?
    They = The person at the city who has responded to my emails. The difference is time. I registered on July 1. It may not be processed for perhaps 30 days. They have given me conflicting answers as to when the clock starts ticking before my 1 year registration runs out.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    I don't really understand the question or your statement that something "lacks consideration." You're aware that enforcement not beginning until Nov. 1 doesn't change that fact that the ordinance took effect on July 1, right?
    They began accepting registrations on July 1.

Yes, the City of Los Angeles has a City Attorney (a whole office of attorneys, in fact), but there's nothing to review, and no, you're not getting screwed. You chose to comply with the law. That you apparently now regret complying with the law and not taking advantage of the grace period doesn't create any sort of legal issue.[/QUOTE]
    Then the city came up with a formula to entrap unsuspecting hosts. Somehow if I was a homeless person claiming some injustice, I'm sure they would cut me a break. That's just how things work in government these days.

1. Sponsored Links