Default Contractors Not Finishing Their Work, Damaging House

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Washington

On July 3, 2019 I had electrical contractors install lighting fixtures and other minor jobs. One of them made a hole in my wall and they left for the day without finishing the job. They were going to give me an allowance in my bill for the damage and someone was going to come back next week to finish the job but no one showed up or no calls. The owner told me they were taking a vacation that week so I did not call. On July 6, I received a bill for the full amount which I have not paid. I received one call since to which I returned but no follow up. I do not know what to do I haven’t paid them any money I feel like they have abandoned the project.

Default Re: Contractors Not Finishing Their Work, Damaging House

I'd make a copy of the bill, make some notes about your concern either on the bill or in an attached letter reminding them what they promised to do and mail it back without a check. Keep a copy of all that.

Cool story. Do you have a question?

How big is the hole? How much work is left to be done?

Before and after pictures are always nice. That is why most landlords use them. I am not saying to not call but if it is not in writing, certified mail (not!!!!!! email) then legally you probably did not contact them, which damages the heck of your future position. Under contract law you ALWAYS give the other guy a chance to fix his mess. You ALWAYS write them a nice polite letter clearing spelling out the problem and what you want done. Pictures are legally wonderful, not required, but the absence badly hurts your position. Only after you have formally notified the other problem, that there is a problem, here is your proposed solution, and they fail to address the problem, then and only then do you look at the next step. Them getting back to you and disputing your letter is not a good response but may indeed be an adequate legal response. And if you cannot prove you took an action, you cannot prove that the other party damaged you and you cannot prove the extent of the damages, all is not lost but all is also not looking well.

Good luck.

Hi
    The hole is about 1” wide x 3” long.
    There is more damage on the same wall farther down that I just discovered yesterday. A cut about 2 inches long-looks like a knife cut.

Work that needs to be finished:

1. 1 dimmer switch in kitchen
    2. 1 dimmer switch alcove
    3. 1 dimmer switch for wall light.

They also left some property:
    Drill battery charger, small bag of misc tools, and a jacket-I called the day they left the job to tell them about it.

My plan is to Send them the invoice without a check, let them know what they need to finish and highlight those areas and ask them to send someone out to my house to repair my wall. Send it registered mail and keep a copy. And give them a time limit to retrieve their property they left.

Would you do anything different? What would be a reasonable amount of time to allow them to pick up their items?

Thank you.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Electricians commonly cut holes into walls to fish in cables. They also, commonly don't repair the sheet rock as that is not what they do and you really don't want to pay the hourly rate for an electrician to do a sheet rock repair. You would do well to check the terms of your contract or estimate for the T&C's and exclusions.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

In agreement with mark on this regarding the holes. You may also find the work contracted under a section titled “scope of work”. It is a commonly used term.

Im not sure I would see the job as abandoned as much as a big lack of communication. It kind of sounds like one of the employees may no longer be an employee (supported by the tools and jacket left at the work site) and the office may be under the misunderstanding the work had been completed.

Before jumping into the deep deep end here I would make sure the office is aware of the facts of the situation.

Payrolguys advice is sound although I would also continue to make contact via a phone call as well. Direct communication results in a better understanding of the parties intent. Some things just don’t have the same color when using written communications.

1. Sponsored Links