Default Ten Com

My question involves personal finance in the State of: what exactly does ten com mean on a stock certificate . I have a few stocks with my ex wife as ten com , I want to know if I can sell them or transfer them without her consent .

Default Re: Ten Com

Quote Quoting Joe49
    View Post
    My question involves personal finance in the State of: what exactly does ten com mean on a stock certificate . I have a few stocks with my ex wife as ten com , I want to know if I can sell them or transfer them without her consent .
    It likely means that the two of you own the stock jointly as tenants in common (TIC). If the two of you jointly own the stock then both of you must agree to transfer your interests in the stock to sell the stock. Which means you won't get away with selling it without giving your ex her share of the sales proceeds unless your divorce order says that the stocks belong only to you. If the order does says the stocks belong only to you, you still need her consent to transfer the stock, but if she won't cooperate you can go to court to make her cooperate.

Thank you

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    It likely means that the two of you own the stock jointly as tenants in common (TIC). If the two of you jointly own the stock then both of you must agree to transfer your interests in the stock to sell the stock. Which means you won't get away with selling it without giving your ex her share of the sales proceeds unless your divorce order says that the stocks belong only to you. If the order does says the stocks belong only to you, you still need her consent to transfer the stock, but if she won't cooperate you can go to court to make her cooperate.
    I thought about your post for a few days and I don't think it is entirely correct.

I agree that OP could not sell 100% of the shares on the certificate without his wife's agreement. But he could sell 50% of the shares and leave 50% of the shares in his wife's name.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    I thought about your post for a few days and I don't think it is entirely correct.

I agree that OP could not sell 100% of the shares on the certificate without his wife's agreement. But he could sell 50% of the shares and leave 50% of the shares in his wife's name.
    Unfortunately, no. If, as described by the OP, the actual share certificates are titled in joint name than each share is jointly held and both would need to sign off on the sale of the shares. If it was simply a joint trading account and the shares were held in street name by the broker, then perhaps something different could be done depending on what the broker requires to execute the trade.

1. Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources