Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Disagreed with Dishonesty, Terminated

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Washington

I was hired in June by a large consulting firm as a Senior Technologist, Cloud Security. My first engagement was last week at a large client.

The manager of our group of four drove us daily from the hotel to client site as a carpool. Early on (Mon, Tue) he told us that next week he'll try the Renaissance Hotel rather than the Westin we were in. He said that if we want to move to the Renaissance too we should use the discount code 'JCP', for JC Penny he said. Well I don't know whether JC Penny is a firm client, but they certainly had nothing to do with this engagement, so I said "I don't like that." Meaning I don't like falsely using a discount code because its discount is larger than our firm's discount code. Everybody heard.

From then on he was very brusque with me. Sharp, and a little scary. As the week went on I got no assignments. On Thursday in the carpool he told us he's trying to hire eight more people but can't find qualified candidates. He said "there are lots of senior people but I don't want senior people. I'm looking for junior people, but they don't want to travel." I didn't say anything.

I've just turned 65 and he knew it. By 'senior' I don't know whether he was referring to capabilities, or age, but decided to decide that he wasn't referring to me.

He and I parted amicably at the airport and flew home Thursday. Friday I got an email from his boss saying that I was not to log any more time on that client nor do any more work for them. IOW, don't come back. I acknowledged and asked if I'd done something wrong? No response.

So I emailed my boss (who was not on that engagement), explaining all of the above. My boss is a good man and seeing a potential Equal Employment Opportunity issue, forwarded it all to HR. HR called me at 5:30am yesterday morning and asked me to describe my view of all this, and I did. She assured me it is 'no big deal'.

Then yesterday afternoon my boss set up an emergency conference call with me and HR, where he fired me. HR said that not just that manager at the engagement said I do not have the capability to perform, but also his boss (the engagement chief and a friend of the manager) said that. And I responded, "So I point out dishonesty, and -I- get fired?" She said no, it's a PERFORMANCE issue. Well my boss hired me because he'd seen and understood my prior work, and for this company I'd begun a first-of-its-kind Cloud Security Framework slidedeck which is a precise description of securing client clouds to Cloud Security Alliance's and NSA's standards. This could have been used by any of the company's consultants with minimal experience to effectively secure client systems. Since I didn't get any assignments on the engagement, I worked on this.

Anyway, that manager was spreading hate about be behind the scenes the whole time we were there, due to my complaining about his falsely recommending the discount code. And he openly said that he is not hiring senior people, in front of me and two other consultants.

Is there anything I can do about this? At my age no one is likely to ever hire me again, at least in the field where I have 22 years' high-level experience. It's easy to look up anyone's age for free on Intelius. Before this job I'd spent two years applying, getting screening calls, and never callbacks presumably because as they checked further found my age.

My boss wasn't the problem here, the engagement manager was. What am I going to do?

Default Re: Disagreed with Dishonesty, Terminated

Since you described yourself in at the beginning of your post as "Senior Technologist" I don't see why you would leap to the assumption when the manager used the terms, Senior and Junior you would assume that it had anything to do with your age.

Did I do that?

Any chance of unemployment?

Is there any legal recourse?

Quote Quoting quantumn
    View Post
    Did I do that?

Sure go file. You got fired and it doesn't seem like they have any misconduct to base a UI disqualification on. A bad hire is on them not you.

Quote Quoting quantumn
    View Post

File ASAP. It's not retroactive so the longer you wait the more you lose.

Quote Quoting quantumn
    View Post

Realistically, probably not. But couldn't hurt to file a claim with the EEOC anyway.

Quote Quoting quantumn
    View Post
    Did I do that?
    The first line of your first post (bolding mine):

"I was hired in June by a large consulting firm as a Senior Technologist, Cloud Security. My first engagement was last week at a large client."

Thanks Jack. Turns out I must have worked at least 4 months for UE, and I have only one.

I've tried an EEOC complaint on another company several years ago where the manager fired me, effectively for being a freemason. But none of my colleagues would testify that he said the things he did. I'm suspicioning the same would happen here.

And PayrolGuy I guess you don't realize how devastating something like this is to someone's life, especially when I was doing what they told us to in onboarding -- See something, Say something. I was the honest one. And not a bad hire, just in an unfortunate situation. I did everything I could to mend fences with this guy but nothing worked. He thought I was going to report him for dishonesty, but actually I wasn't, until he attacked.

Quote Quoting eerelations
    View Post
    The first line of your first post (bolding mine):

"I was hired in June by a large consulting firm as a Senior Technologist, Cloud Security. My first engagement was last week at a large client."
    No, I was asking if I had equated the manager's remark about bypassing senior people to excluding me for age. (Hint for the ironic-blind: No I did not.)

Quote Quoting quantumn
    View Post

No, I was asking if I had equated the manager's remark about bypassing senior people to excluding me for age. (Hint for the ironic-blind: No I did not.)
    Like this wasn't implying an age-related issue.

From then on he was very brusque with me. Sharp, and a little scary. As the week went on I got no assignments. On Thursday in the carpool he told us he's trying to hire eight more people but can't find qualified candidates. He said "there are lots of senior people but I don't want senior people. I'm looking for junior people, but they don't want to travel." I didn't say anything.

I've just turned 65 and he knew it. By 'senior' I don't know whether he was referring to capabilities, or age, but decided to decide that he wasn't referring to me.

Seems like you're here to bicker PayrolGuy. And to kick a guy when he's down. Do you kick women too?

Hoping for some more helpful input.

In the IT consulting world, this is very common. Ethical? maybe, or not. Some firms tell their employees and contractors to use their discounts, even outside of work trips. They have negotiated with the hotel chain and if the hotel chain doesn't want others to use the discount, they generally only work through one travel agency OR require employee ID.

"so I said "I don't like that." Meaning I don't like falsely using a discount code because its discount is larger than our firm's discount code. Everybody heard."

I wouldn't have suggested bringing this up on your first engagement directly to the manager questioning his authority in front of other employees, but asking HR or others later whether something like this was sanctioned. In the end it sounds like the consulting firm had more of an issue with how you handled it than this manager.

I don't see this as age discrimination, but more of the fact that you questioned authority in the wrong place, wrong time method and got burned.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast