Default Tell Me About Tire Temperature

I've been able to find a lot of discussion about pressures, but I'm not having any luck trying to learn about temperatures, in a quantitative sense.

This became newly relevant to me last week driving in Death Valley with an aftermarket TPS monitor set. I had my truck's tires -- BFG KO2s -- well dialed-in for my load during a long road trip, and pressures were doing OK, but I got a temp warming beep from time to time at 150F. Because it was like 120F outside, things were running hotter, and this one tire is closer to the exhaust, etc. etc.

This number (150F) was the factory setting for the temp alarm, so having no idea what was a "dangerous" temperature, I slowed until it went below that, and proceeded with seemingly no ill effects. Does anyone have any notion of where an otherwise sound tire, within its normal pressure range, will begin to have problems with temperature? Is there a chart somewhere I can't find?

Default Re: Tell Me About Tire Temperature

You'll probably have better luck with this question on a GearHead or Trucking forum than you will on a legal forum.

Quote Quoting JainJude
    View Post
    I've been able to find a lot of discussion about pressures, but I'm not having any luck trying to learn about temperatures, in a quantitative sense.
    Are you aware that you've posted on a legal message?

That being said, you might want to read about the ideal gas law.

Quote Quoting JainJude
    View Post

This became newly relevant to me last week driving in Death Valley with an aftermarket TPS monitor set. I had my truck's tires -- BFG KO2s -- well dialed-in for my load during a long road trip, and pressures were doing OK, but I got a temp warming beep from time to time at 150F. Because it was like 120F outside, things were running hotter, and this one tire is closer to the exhaust, etc. etc.

This number (150F) was the factory setting for the temp alarm, so having no idea what was a "dangerous" temperature, I slowed until it went below that, and proceeded with seemingly no ill effects. Does anyone have any notion of where an otherwise sound tire, within its normal pressure range, will begin to have problems with temperature? Is there a chart somewhere I can't find?
    Your truck's temp warning about temp has nothing to do with your tires. It has to do with the operating temp of the engine. Why you are asking about your tires is a mystery. Or are you saying that the tire sensors now also report temp?

Yes, your tire pressure will increase slightly with an increase in temperature. But not in a significant way. Maybe increase a pound or three which is well within the tolerances of the tire.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Are you aware that you've posted on a legal message?

That being said, you might want to read about the ideal gas law.
    PV=nRT and all it's derivations. But simply, as temperature goes up so does pressure.

I like a man of science.

1. Sponsored Links