Default Incorrect Labeling at Macy’s

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Colorado
    I currently work at Macy’s and when there is an item without a tag and not in the system we are supposed to find a similar product and make a copy of the tag for the unlabeled item. I found a cheaper item and used the tag to make a copy for the item I wanted to purchase which had no label and was not in the system. I had another employee ring me up after my shift and and paid for the item at the low price. Is this considered theft? All employees when leaving having purchased items must place a duplicate receipt in a box before leaving which I did.

Default Re: Incorrect Labeling at Macy’s

Quote Quoting yoruichigo
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Colorado
    I currently work at Macy’s and when there is an item without a tag and not in the system we are supposed to find a similar product and make a copy of the tag for the unlabeled item. I found a cheaper item and used the tag to make a copy for the item I wanted to purchase which had no label and was not in the system. I had another employee ring me up after my shift and and paid for the item at the low price. Is this considered theft? All employees when leaving having purchased items must place a duplicate receipt in a box before leaving which I did.
    From your own description it sounds like you knew the unmarked item had a higher selling price but went out and found a lower price tag to slap on it for the express purpose of buying that item for less than your employer would sell it. If that's what happened then yes, it is a form of theft or fraud. You are cheating your employer out of money by a scheme to obtain it for less than the employer would sell it.

Quote Quoting yoruichigo
    View Post
    Is this considered theft?
    While you might not be prosecuted for it (though you could be), you could certainly get fired for misconduct and not be eligible for unemployment compensation.

There are laws that "directly" prohibit price tag switching for customers, why should it not apply to you?

So when you asked your boss if you could do this, what did s/he say? If you didn't ask your supervisor, why not? Is it because you KNEW it was wrong?

Quote Quoting Shadowbunny
    View Post
    So when you asked your boss if you could do this, what did s/he say? If you didn't ask your supervisor, why not? Is it because you KNEW it was wrong?
    like button

1. Sponsored Links