Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 21657 21750

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California
    I entered into a median legally that ended up having a solid yellow line and broken yellow line on inside. Where i entered this purposely was not there. I was passing cars on right that were blocking me from entering left turn lane at light. A police car pulled out in front of me and motioned me to turn into nearest driveway. I never crossed over yellow lines until instructed by police officer I am not sure at that point i had violated any vehicle code. Can i fight this in court?
    i also was cited for driving down one way street at the same time! Burbank blvd is never a one way street.

Default Re: 21657 21750

21657 covers not just one way streets but also "part of a roadway" for travel in one direction. 21750 is a general unsafe passing statute. It includes the following sections up to and including 21761.

If you were using the center turn lane to pass other vehicles, you broke the 21657.
    If you drove on the center lane in a part where it is marked as being a turn lane for traffic coming the other way, you broke 21657.

What intersection of Burbank Blvd and you'll have to provide a better description of where you drove.

I did not drive in an area marked as a turn lane for oncoming traffic. I had crossed over noble going west towards Sepulveda Blvd.

If you are talking about a maneuver as depicted by my pair of red arrows below, passing cars on the straight thru lanes, you're guilty of both charges.

The citation needs to be written for actions that were not made under the officers orders as there is a section of the code that allows a peace officer to order you to violate the vehicle code.

21750 (a) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left at a safe distance without interfering with the safe operation of the overtaken vehicle, subject to the limitations and exceptions set forth in this article.
    Usually this section is cited when a driver overtakes on the right of vehicles and not the left, based on your statement I am not sure how this was violated.

21657. The authorities in charge of any highway may designate any highway, roadway, part of a roadway, or specific lanes upon which vehicular traffic shall proceed in one direction at all or such times as shall be indicated by official traffic control devices. When a roadway has been so designated, a vehicle shall be driven only in the direction designated at all or such times as shall be indicated by traffic control devices.
    This violation is usually cited when a driver proceeds the wrong way down a one-way. Once again, based on your statement I am not sure how this was violated.

Can you describe the situation more clearly and explain the exact place it happened?

Quote Quoting B.Frank
    View Post
    The citation needs to be written for actions that were not made under the officers orders as there is a section of the code that allows a peace officer to order you to violate the vehicle code.

Usually this section is cited when a driver overtakes on the right of vehicles and not the left, based on your statement I am not sure how this was violated.

This violation is usually cited when a driver proceeds the wrong way down a one-way. Once again, based on your statement I am not sure how this was violated.
    He already said it. He used the center turn lane to pass people so he could get to a left turn lane up the road. As I pointed out before B, the last line of that "subject to the limitations and exceptions set forth in this article" mean that all the other passing rules apply inclusively. "This Article" means 21750 through 21761.

I took a look at the entire length of Burbank Blvd and no where on there did I see any one direction "designations" as is required by 21657, so that one is likely either the wrong cite or the violation took place elsewhere.

subject to the limitations and exceptions set forth in this article" [means] all the other passing rules apply inclusively
    No. That means that applicable sections of the article could limit 21750 (a) or provide an exception to it, not that all other passing laws are inclusive of it.

Did you look at my picture? There area on longer of the two red arrows where the word "Blvd" is printed is such an area.

Quote Quoting B.Frank
    View Post
    I took a look at the entire length of Burbank Blvd and no where on there did I see any one direction "designations" as is required by 21657, so that one is likely either the wrong cite or the violation took place elsewhere.
    The solid yellow line (either single, solid double or solid/dashed) is an official traffic control device which designates only the lanes to the right of the line as approved for traffic proceeding in that direction. The only legitimate reason to cross that line is to make an immediate left turn across opposing traffic. If designated as a turning lane by solid/dashed yellow you may proceed in that lane only long enough to slow/stop safely before crossing oncoming traffic. This immediate left turn exception does not apply if you continue forward to an intersection with a dedicated left turn lane. After initially crossing the solid yellow line (any form of it) you are not allowed to proceed and cross the double solid yellow lines to enter a left turn lane at an intersection. This is the basis of your violation.
    When you left the designated roadway for your direction of travel to pass stationary cars that would rightfully be unsafe passing. Legally it is no different than using a grass median to pass cars on an interstate since you left the roadway designated for the direction you were traveling.

I see what you mean. If that's really what the cite is for it may be able to be argued. Generally speaking 21657 is for one-way violations and not driving on the wrong side of the road. Maybe not the best argument but that area is extremely short and acts as a transition and could be considered part of the 2-way turning lane.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast