Default AT&T Deactivating Service and Forcing Acquisition of New Service

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Texas

I recently had an issue with AT&T with them sort of "extorting" me into purchasing another line/phone that i should not have needed. I had an existing line with them that they somehow "deactivated" and could not get back. I called them about this and after speaking with a rep on the phone and someone in their store they said im more or less SOL. Their sales rep in the store pressured me into buying another phone/line of service. I need a phone for my job so i had no choice. This sounds like some sort of malpractice. I was never given any reason why i am unable to access my existing service or why they cancelled it and now im paying for 2 lines and 2 phones that i dont need. I have called multiple times about trying to get my existing line back and they are unable to "fix" the issue and that if i want to have service i need to purchase a new line and phone, which i did.

Default Re: AT&T Deactivating Service and Forcing Acquisition of New Service

are you paying for the line that was deactivated? If not I’m not sure what the issue is. If you are, ask why you are being billed for a line you aren’t allowed to use.

Yes i am being billed for both lines. I have asked and they said they cant deactivate it so that im not billed.

Quote Quoting Sparrow8BD
    View Post
    Yes i am being billed for both lines. I have asked and they said they cant deactivate it so that im not billed.
    They deactivated it so that you cannot use it, but are claiming that they cannot deactivate it so that you don't have to continue to pay for it? That is absurd. Are you sure that you are talking about the line rather than the phone itself? I could see how you might still owe on the phone but not the line.

However, if you still owed on the phone I don't see how the phone couldn't have been switched to your new line.

You really need to park yourself in the nearest AT&T store until they fully explain things to you and make it right.

i 100% agree and its actually the case. I did have to end up purchasing another phone, but because i didnt want to go through the whole setup process again, i just put the sim card in my old phone. So its clearly something with my old line. Because i am in no way liable for their mess up i want to demand that they pay for all this, but im not sure how to go about it. I work crazy hours(12-16 hrs a day from 7pm - whenever) so i dont have a lot of time to deal with their BS.

Quote Quoting Sparrow8BD
    View Post
    i 100% agree and its actually the case. I did have to end up purchasing another phone, but because i didnt want to go through the whole setup process again, i just put the sim card in my old phone. So its clearly something with my old line. Because i am in no way liable for their mess up i want to demand that they pay for all this, but im not sure how to go about it. I work crazy hours(12-16 hrs a day from 7pm - whenever) so i dont have a lot of time to deal with their BS.
    I suspect that your crazy working hours are the reason why you let the whole thing happen in the first place. Instead of getting the situation fixed properly you just did whatever you needed to do to make the immediate problem disappear. Now, its more complicated than in should have been in the first place.

You need to make the time to deal with the BS or you are going to be stuck with the BS. I had a tax client like you once. The IRS was on his backside for money that he didn't owe and he wouldn't deal with it because he was too busy with work. Finally they put a lien on him (again, for money he did not owe) but instead of just taking a few hours off work to properly deal with it he agreed to an installment plan just to make the lien go away.

He ended up paying about 10k that he did NOT owe, because he was just too busy and too important to take the time to deal with the problem properly. Make sure that you don't make that same mistake.

Quote Quoting Sparrow8BD
    View Post
    I'd have said F U, left the store, got a new phone someplace else, and quit paying on the old service.

But, hey, you rationalize your life's decisions in whatever manner suits you.

A lot of the purchase contracts for phones require you to maintain service while they are in effect.

Anyhow, the easiest way to get someone sane at a phone carrier is to go to fcc.gov and file a complaint there (there's a link on the side menu). It will take a month but eventually, it will get routed to someone (often an attorney) high up in the company who is empowered to do whatever it is necessary to get the complaint resolved.

1. Sponsored Links